Bedford MW innerside door cover ... cardboard???

Danny P

I have one original door cover attached to the innerside of the door in my bedford MW which most resembles cardboard or hardboard. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed cardboard/hardboard or what would be the best material to make a copy for the other door?

Thanks,

Danny

Edited by Danny P

Thank you all for the information! Good to know about Masonite which is a high quality hardboard or better oil tempered Masonite. A little search on the web tells us that the Masonite hardboard was first made in England in 1898 by hot-pressing waste paper. Masonite was patented in 1924 in Laurel, Mississippi, by William H. Mason, who was a friend and protégé of inventor Thomas Edison. Mass production started in 1929. In the 1930s and 1940s, Masonite was used for many applications including doors, roofing, walls, desktops, and canoes. It was sometimes used for house siding.

Cheers,

Danny

I'm with Wally, I thought it was Millboard rather than Masonite.

You can buy a modern version of Millboard from some of the vintage car suppliers.

Probably the same as on QL doors as well and I would say it is like normal hardboard. Millboard is a bit to flexible and generally thinner.