I will try and do something Marc but I am not quite sure how. I suppose I could cine the visuals and then tape the sound using my real to real, try to match the two then workout how to digitise it all.

I haven't mentioned the state of the cooling system, it was full and I am not exaggerating, of rust and general crap, the steel pipe work looked fine until I tried clean them up and as you can see from the picture  the only option was to make new ones. It took hours to clean it all out.

I think I have at last fabricated the last two components, I couldn't really save much of the original parts, only the catch and clasp and the spare wheel bracket.

Onwards forwards and backwards,

Jon

DSC05343.JPG

DSC05344.JPG

DSC05345.JPG

DSC05347.JPG

DSC05352.JPG

DSC05353.JPG

DSC05354.JPG

DSC05355.JPG

DSC05359.JPG

DSC05360.JPG

DSC05361.JPG

DSC05362.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to finish all the odds and sods, its supprising how much time it takes, just when you think that you have finished you find something else. One of the items that i can't find pictures of, is the box that fits over the battery, assuming that there should be one. Today it's been minus degrees and snowing, so I have made the number plate mounting plates and painted stars. Tonight I need to make the census number stencil and get that painted on. I could then do with a dry sunny day to get it out and clean up but that's something I can't control.

Jon 

DSC05390.JPG

DSC05391.JPG

DSC05387.JPG

DSC05388.JPG

DSC05389.JPG

DSC05397.JPG

DSC05401.JPG

DSC05394.JPG

DSC05395.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johann morris said:

I have been trying to finish all the odds and sods, its supprising how much time it takes, just when you think that you have finished you find something else. One of the items that i can't find pictures of, is the box that fits over the battery, assuming that there should be one. Today it's been minus degrees and snowing, so I have made the number plate mounting plates and painted stars. Tonight I need to make the census number stencil and get that painted on. I could then do with a dry sunny day to get it out and clean up but that's something I can't control.

Jon 

DSC05390.JPG

DSC05391.JPG

DSC05387.JPG

DSC05388.JPG

DSC05389.JPG

DSC05397.JPG

DSC05401.JPG

DSC05394.JPG

DSC05395.JPG

• Like 1

Welly spotted Wally. The gear stick I have no excuse for, why didn't I see that:rofl:. As for the markings, they do my head in. Why can't they have made it simple, or am I simple, I have studied my books, looked on line and there seems to be so much contradictory information especially for the arm of service. Someone needs to publish an idiots guide, Division, that's the easy bit and then the arm of service, simply, not.

Thanks again,

Jon

Jon, 

Your restoration work is outstanding and I am enjoying the pictures that you have posted. I was looking through my late father in law's photos - he served with the Royal Engineers in North Africa during WWII. The attached sequence of pictures shows the Sappers building a bridge over a wadi and the last picture looks like a test of their work. The lead vehicle looks like yours and the second vehicle is a bit bigger ( I have no doubt the with the expertise on this forum, somebody will identify it).

Best Regards - David

bridgebuilding1.jpg

bridgebuilding2.jpg

bridgebuilding3.jpg

bridgebuilding4.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you David, I appreciate your comments and posting those wonderful pictures, have you got any more, I could look at old pictures like those for hours.

Its a bit cold today but sunny so I decided to get the old boy out and do some vacuuming and tidying up as the mess was irritating me somewhat. As it was the first, albeit short drive I expected to find something  wrong but it was only when I crushed my hand against the oil filter housing that I found out that the gear stick had been in the correct way to start with, ouch. Other than that all seemed ok, lets hope that it continues so. I think that they make a lovely couple.

Jon

DSC05404.JPG

DSC05411.JPG

DSC05412.JPG

DSC05413.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi Jon,

I just found this topic, i am not such a forum dweller i’m afraid.
I’d like to compliment you on your fantastic retoration, the Morris looks absolute fantastic.

They are lovely machines, i’ve bought mine in januari 2014 and got it restored in 2015.
If you need any information you may always contact me.

I keep an website on the Morris Commercial C8, maybe you’ve found it?
www.morris-commercial.nl

Rgds,

Sjoerd van de Wal

Hi Sjoerd,

Thank you very much for your kind comments, they are much appreciated. I have indeed found your web site and I am Number 17 on your register, also you have a pre restoration picture in the "stories" section of your site. Please feel free to update my story and use any of the pictures in this thread. 

Regards,

Jonathan