Aden Emergency. Vehicles colour.

enzus59

The squadrons would not have stayed afloat for months at a time, .:)

A small “afloat” armoured component of a half-squadron of Centurion MBTs was maintained in the Persian Gulf aboard LSTs from around 1960. One reason was the need to reinforce Kuwait in the face of Iraqi aggression. The LSTs were based in Bahrain - HMS JUFIR, I believe. Their crews served aboard with their tanks, though, sometimes during the summer months where the LST lacked air conditioning, life for embarked troops could be pretty grim. In those circumstances the tank crews would be left ashore and brought forward from Aden to join the ship at Bahrain.

Through the deployment of a second LST, the crews would be rotated between the squadrons of the armoured regiment based in Aden, thus enabling a permanent deployment.

Certainly they would have been involved in exercises in the Gulf region, and, in fact, the tanks were landed for operations in Kuwait in 1961 - OP VANTAGE.

The concept of maintaining troops afloat was well understood in those days and was being developed as part of an overall British strategy to maintain forces capable of rapid deployment, both by sea and also by air - you may recall the emphasis being placed on introducing new transport aircraft into service during the late 50s and 60s (C130s arriving in 1967, for example).

As far as the maritime component was concerned, two LPDs (HMS FEARLESS (1964) and INTREPID (1965)) were commissioned and they were joined by six LSLs (The Round Table Class). Together, these gave a considerably enhanced capability - being faster, more modern and considerably better adapted to the littoral warfare role than the earlier LSTs. HMS BULWARK and ALBION had, by that time, already been converted into helicopter carriers in order to provide platforms for RM deployments (in 1960 and 1962 respectively).

10 68

.... HMS BULWARK and ALBION had, by that time, already been converted into helicopter carriers in order to provide platforms for RM deployments ....

10 68

With my compliments. So interesting news.

Do you know something about HMS BULWARK with L5 Pack Howitzer on deck? i saw one pic where L5 are firing from deck. I belive that HMS BULWARK was carrying an unknown RHA in Middle East Area (Aden? when? which RHA bty). Do you know if there are other pics with howitzers on deck? Do you know if HMS ALBION did it too?

Thanks in advance

Enzo

Edited by enzus59