Yes well done Richard spot on!

What was it that did it for you? The man standing in it? The new image that just showed the edge of circular hand grab? Or the fact that one just appeared for sale?

Just need to know the location & the organisation doing these tests in 1965.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125742&stc=1

Clive it was the oval lashing loops on the bin, I knew them but was not associating with armour. Is it something that was being done at Aldermaston or maybe Farnborough?

Clive it was the oval lashing loops on the bin, I knew them but was not associating with armour. Is it something that was being done at Aldermaston or maybe Farnborough?

Yes Farnborough Richard, well done!

I think many might be tempted to say FVRDE Chertsey, but this was the Inspectorate of Fighting Vehicles & Mechanical Engineering, Test House, Farnborough, controlled by the Assistant Master General of the Ordnance (Inspection) on behalf of the Master General of the Ordnance for the Ministry of Defence.

I assume that's electrical interference (suppression) testing rather than Tempest? Whereabouts was this at Farnborough? "Building 36" doesn't tally with the current site numbering system where all buildings have a letter in front of the numbers.

Andy

Trouble of working lates. >:( Such testing is known by the code word Tempest, used to be carried out at DERA Aquila at Bixcley in Kent, now a housing estate.

Shouldn't think it's anything to do with William Shakespeare. This facility was on display at a series of Open Days at IFVME Farnborough 17th - 21st May 1965 & according to the map there were ladies present, albeit in a minority judging by the limited toilet facilities.

I assume that's electrical interference (suppression) testing rather than Tempest? Whereabouts was this at Farnborough? "Building 36" doesn't tally with the current site numbering system where all buildings have a letter in front of the numbers.

Andy

Yes Andy RFI I assume judging by the equipment being used external to the Ferret.

Does any of this site still exist? It was adjacent to the west of RAE.

Scan0049.jpg

I think you'll find the site is now a Costco warehouse, judging by Google Maps and my local knowledge. I remember that area being a series of hangars and odd buildings before the site was sold off and redeveloped. Interestingly, one of those hangars (Q Shed) used to house Thrust SSC during its initial development and test runs.

Andy