Quiz Time

sterling1961

I found this video on the internet and I was wondering what all these vehicles were.

I see two Stalwarts, a fox, four ferrets, two Scaracen and a command variant (FV604?) a couple of pigs and I think three FV 432. For the yank trucks there are two jeeps a couple of Dodges and a duce an a half.

Our presenter seems to have a poor understanding of the collection, I'm not sure how quickly they could be mobilised 'when the stuff hits the fan'.

There are three Mk 2 Pigs. One has a canvas fitted for the roof of a Mk 1, the purpose of that is that it rests on rails around the top edges of the roof thereby providing a layer of air to try to alleviate some heating that the crew would be subjected to in the tropics.

These were never fitted to Mk 2 Pigs as they have no such roof rails & they deployed exclusively in N.Ireland that does not normally suffer from tropical heat. Apart from the fire risk in a riot situation, if they are planning for a NBC situation a canvas is not helpful either. It looks like the other two Pigs each have a canvas folded up in the back ready to be fitted once mobilised, how daft.

Our presenter seems to have a poor understanding of the collection, I'm not sure how quickly they could be mobilised 'when the stuff hits the fan'.

There are three Mk 2 Pigs. One has a canvas fitted for the roof of a Mk 1, the purpose of that is that it rests on rails around the top edges of the roof thereby providing a layer of air to try to alleviate some heating that the crew would be subjected to in the tropics.

These were never fitted to Mk 2 Pigs as they have no such roof rails & they deployed exclusively in N.Ireland that does not normally suffer from tropical heat. Apart from the fire risk in a riot situation, if they are planning for a NBC situation a canvas is not helpful either. It looks like the other two Pigs each have a canvas folded up in the back ready to be fitted once mobilised, how daft.

Especially when one of the Scaracens, the first, is missing a wheel. I wonder what all that "stuff" on top of the second Scaracen seen is? It does not look like standard equipment.

I was wondering about that Pig as I never saw a Mark 1 when I was growing up in NI and I don't remember the "barrier Bars" (or whatever the official name is) being fitted until after the Scaracens arrived in our area and the pigs went off to the cities. I do remember the Scaracens arriving in a large convoy all were reverse flow and in desert colours.