War & Peace 2008

MarcPSummers

I still cant believe all the thefts are still going on.I remember some years back,when it was Whitbreads show.Steve Wright had one of the gimpys stolen off the Pink Panther.It was recovered a couple of years later by the police off of a pikey living in woodland nearby.Thats what i love about Duxford.It has proper all night security patrols.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's me in the halftrack behind the .50

I went to pee at 03:15 and no one was out and about, could have nicked anything.

Then again the terrain is so big its easy to wait till security passes and then steal.

It still sucks getting your stuff stolen though.

I just think its a little worrying that it could be people in our own community that could be doing it.I do hope not.Very sad if it is.

Well it certainly wasn't Joe Public that pinched Jack's wheel :roll:

The pikeys were conspicuous by their absence this year, so I think that YES it probably is people within "our community" that are doing the stealing, you have to remember that in the midsts of 10,000 odd people there will be the bad apple/s, these do not worry about our working hard to buy what we need or want for our hobby, they are like parasites and the War and Peace show is like a microcosism of society nowadays.

God I am sounding old

No Mark , unfortunately you are being realistic .

There is an attitude which seems to be becoming prevalent amongst a larger and larger section of the population that if you want something you don't do what we old fashioned folk do: Work hard , save a bit , sacrifice a little and eventually manage to treat yourself to that special something .

You go out and nick it from some dumb sap who worked hard , saved up , sacrificed and went without .

This only works. though. until the poor dumb sap who worked hard and saved up catches the prize thieving turd.

After this, given the lack of anything approaching respect for the police these days life for the thieving turd is likely to take a very short and painful down turn....

To quote an old staff sergeant I used to know - "The good Lord did not cause pick-axe handles to be fitted to MV's for the purpose of digging holes but for the chastisement of wrong doers dumb eough to get caught!!!"

Going back to the earlier discussion - 3000 photo's on the W&P site and not one of my Lightweight!!

Someone is trying to tell me something, since I painted it sand, people have flocked away from it and it's rained constantly - may have to break out the roller again :-D

It was a bit of a bugger Sunday - one guy turned out for the Falklands thing (in an IFOR marked 109) so they cancelled it, mind you, we got to sod about in the mud for longer during the 'War in the Desert' so shouldn't complain!

I may paint it panzer grey and bung on a few crosses - it's time we got going with the really bad war movie re-enactments, what could be better/worse than a post war, British vehicle as a German Staff car?

Going back to the earlier discussion - 3000 photo's on the W&P site and not one of my Lightweight!!

Someone is trying to tell me something, since I painted it sand, people have flocked away from it and it's rained constantly - may have to break out the roller again :-D

It was a bit of a bugger Sunday - one guy turned out for the Falklands thing (in an IFOR marked 109) so they cancelled it, mind you, we got to sod about in the mud for longer during the 'War in the Desert' so shouldn't complain!

I may paint it panzer grey and bung on a few crosses - it's time we got going with the really bad war movie re-enactments, what could be better/worse than a post war, British vehicle as a German Staff car?

Yes I know what you mean about being ignored, it can seem almost hurtful. :cry:

I took the oldest pig in the world to Overlord & Kemble, yet 'official' postings of pics ignored it. I dare say if it went to W&P it would be the same.

I think shows could do everyone a favour by having a series of shots of all vehicles present, in a series of line up shots. This makes everyone feel they were involved in the event, a bit like a wedding photo where everyone gets on at least one photo. It would also give someone who was thinking going next year a feeling of the size of the show & the range of vehicles presented.

Just saw a bit of a War film on Sky TV. Think it was "Dirty Heroes" set in WW2 - a low budget film. They were using an Austin Champ with 'US ARMY' painted on it as a Jeep.

Also, I saw a Dodge Command car made into Rommels staff car in, I think, 'The Desert Fox'.

Yes I know what you mean about being ignored, it can seem almost hurtful. :cry:

I took the oldest pig in the world to Overlord & Kemble, yet 'official' postings of pics ignored it. I dare say if it went to W&P it would be the same.

I took the oldest Ferret in the world to Beltring... :-D

I just think its a little worrying that it could be people in our own community that could be doing it.I do hope not.Very sad if it is.

Went to Beltring this morning to load up the Ferret, Fox & Saladin for their trip to Pirbright, when I got there found that someone had untied my Ferret canvas/Bivvi & had stolen it, not just a bit of canvas but he very hard to find correct Ferret Canvas.. also they had started undoing the .30cal tripod straps to have that away, it seems they couldn't get one of the straps undone.. as these are not types of items Joe blogs would bother with I suspect it was taken by one of he other MV owners parked up with ours >:( >:(>:(

Lee,

Did you spot anything missing from your CVRTs?! I think Rex needs a secure compound for vehicles he's transporting next year.

Chris

Chris,

looked over yours & didn't see anything missing cable ties still on rear bins...

Paul Conner's Pig is still sitting in the Middle of Monktons with trailer attached.. wouldn't be happy leaving my MV all the way out there, at least ours are near the caravans...

You would think you would be safe among likeminded enthusiasts! How very sad!

Got me thinking, maybe I will bring the missus along next year to guard...she can be quite vicious :whistle:

Lee,

Did you spot anything missing from your CVRTs?! I think Rex needs a secure compound for vehicles he's transporting next year.

Chris

A secure compound is a very good idea.

On the sunday when Chris and I got down there I noticed that one of the little hub caps on the L/H drive sprocket on my Striker was lose. I assumed that it had come lose with driving. After putting up tent and sorting our camp out I found a screwdriver and went to tighten up the 4 screws that hold it on. All 4 screws were too long to hold the cap on and had gained plain sections on them that were longer than the thickness of the cap. At least they did'nt steel the cap and just swoped the screws. I can only assume that another CVR(T) owner had a dust cap that didn't fit :dunno:

Not a safety issue, just anouying.

On the sunday when Chris and I got down there I noticed that one of the little hub caps on the L/H drive sprocket on my Striker was lose. I assumed that it had come lose with driving. After putting up tent and sorting our camp out I found a screwdriver and went to tighten up the 4 screws that hold it on. All 4 screws were too long to hold the cap on and had gained plain sections on them that were longer than the thickness of the cap. At least they did'nt steel the cap and just swoped the screws. I can only assume that another CVR(T) owner had a dust cap that didn't fit :dunno:

Andy,

you sure that happend at W&P :dunno: after I took them off the lowoader I drove them straight to your pitch & I didn't see anyone go near them untill you arrived :|

Andy, I have found that the screws on our hubcaps come loose quite regularly. It is an easy thing to miss until you see the tell-tale oil stain. The screws will wear in the way you describe if driven with the hubcap loose.

Vince