Restoration of FMW Matey Dockyard Truck (otherwise knows as Navy Hog Truck?)

MTH83

Been up at the farm today with the final bits back from the powder coaters, nearly time to start re-assembling the truck, thankfully I’ve got a second truck to remind me which way all the bits go back together!!!

any info on the braking system would be much appreciated! 

82DC6ADB-D92A-4DFC-B120-257842D066E3.jpeg

68BE0A54-9B13-400B-8945-B40FA0018907.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/03/2018 at 8:51 PM, John ex RN Mech said:

Hi All,

Been reading the posts with interest, as I have today brought a FMW truck off ebay, which I intend to renovate

So will undoubtedly be asking for help Going forward 

John

Happy Days John!

I have been on a bit of a journey with parts - I've really struggled to find bits for the breaking system but we have now managed to work out which model of early transit the brakes are from: I think the front brakes on the truck are rear transit. 

I have no idea whats on the back yet but mine has a huge rear diff and drum brakes, some of the later models have an overrun breaking system on the back with cables etc.

More than happy to help if you have any questions, lots of the other members have been really helpful too! :)

I have started to find out some more on my truck it is a series 4, and it has a tipping body on the back, on the whole doesn't look to bad but need to get the engine running before I can do anymore on it as it was off loaded in the gateway of my field and have not anything to move it up to my garage

Will keep you posted on progress

• 10 months later...

Recently started restoring an ex P & O FMW TT40, I think it's a 1985 model, usual issues of no foot brakes, dodgy electrics etc but engine is sound and it is mobile with care...and quick use of the handbrake  !

I don't suppose for one minute that a manual (of sorts) for these machines exists anymore....but it would be handy if one did ! 

Thanks to Whiskers comments above, at least I now know the background to FMW, the electrics are now functioning, just waiting for the dodgy weather to move on, then I'll get it up on railway sleepers and have a proper  rummage underneath.

Engine is 2.5 litre diesel Transit, running gear I haven't got the foggiest until I get underneath, if it's anything like a Mercury tug it could be a selection of various makes.

Any comments or advice most welcome.

IMG_1513 (3).jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sprocket316 said:

As they say....beauty is in the eye of the beholder !

I only put it on here as the forces did use this model in many locations, rare to see one these days though.

Yes, I recognise this model of FMW, the army base I worked on had several from new. I well remember they had a Start Pilot pump and reservoir in the cab and there was no way the wretched Ford diesel would start, hot or cold without a pump of ether, they were all like that from new.. Used for collecting the rubbish and scrap metal in our workshops, and the Ordnance Depot used them for towing warehouse trailers around.

regards, Richard

I've heard of the starting issues before, but must be lucky as I've had no starting issues at all, I don't know if the earlier models had a different engine to the Mk1 Transit in this one, I've yet to see any literature whatsoever concerning these models....as much as I've tried !

The only fact I've noticed is that they were taken over (if that's the correct word) by Electricar, who then produced what looks like an upgraded but very similar looking model.

I also have a mid 60's Mercury tug (found in a hedge a couple of years ago) fitted with a Perkins 4.99, this will not start without the pre-heater....even on a warm day ! The main issue I've had with this one is obtaining the obsolete replacement tyres.

Thanks for your interesting comments.

59 minutes ago, sprocket316 said:

Many thanks for the information, facts like these are most helpful to know.

I worked at Industrial Power Products in the 70's, a division of Ford based at Daventry, we supplied engines, gearboxes and axles to the aftermarket for use in various vehicles and industrial equipement. My favourite memory is replying to a letter from Princess Anne requesting an explanation to why the overdrive had failed on her Reliant Scimitar GTE for the fifth time!

That's interesting, the manual FOMOCO gearbox in the 1965 Mercury tug I have is I'm led to believe the same type as utilised in the very early Transit. The 1985 FMW TT40 tug has a three speed auto, I don't yet know who that's by, ditto heavy duty rear axle, brakes etc....until I start delving ! Oh for a manual or a spec sheet to give me a head start.

I wonder if Princess Anne ever considered a Reliant three wheeler as a replacement ?

Quite possibly, from 1959 or so Ford gearboxes were produced at the Halewood transmission plant on Merseyside, the auto will most probably be a Borg Warner from Letchworth.

I assume you  realise FoMoCo stood for Ford Motor Company, replacing the older EnFo or English Ford?

20 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

If my memory serves me correctly, the FMW tugs that the army had, the engines were converted/prepared by Hendy, who I think were Ford dealers from Southampton area, which figures as FMW were in Dorset. We had to service them, but I cannot recollect any major work needed on them.

Yes, Hendy Lennox were a big Ford IPP dealer at the time.

Many thanks gentlemen for these snippets of information, it's much appreciated. I was familiar with the FOMOCO meaning but had only heard of Borg Warner, I will watch out for any markings on the gearbox unit to confirm this.

Thanks also to MTH83 for bringing the FMW name to light, apologies for jumping on to your thread, I was just surprised to see the FMW name....but knew both types of vehicles had been used by the military !

Once again, if anyone has a spec sheet or similar literature for a FMW TT40 tug, I would be only to glad to hear from you.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi,

I was chatting to Matt today, as my FMW has got one back wheel which won't turn, I did some exploring and it might help, I have a Series 4 with a tipping bed, the back axle is made by Hamworthy Transmission Division, I believe it is a Rigid Axle 1000

I looked online and found a workshop  manual on the Winget website, which is free to download

• 2 years later...