Tony B

New yard find

Tony - don't know if it's of any interest to you but the new edition of Classic Motor Monthly arrived today . There is an advert for a Coventry Climax FWM engine , ex water pump . If you think it's worth a look let me know & I'll PM you the details .

Yes please, I'm still looking for the missing bits but a backup plan would be nice. If all else fails I plan to use the trailer to mount an arc/generator set. Waste not want not. :-D

Not a good day. Looks like the engine is now some building girder or other recycled rubbish. :noyay: Dave I tried the advert you told me of, but it is the later 1950's OHC engine. Currently looking at trailer and skid to mount generator, so at least the trailer will be saved.

It's a :yay::dancinggirls:Day! Thanks to Andy :-D Pumps now located and the spare dolly for my generator/arc set to mount on! Nothing like multi purpose.

Posted (edited)

Progress on this project. The trailer has now come out of it's den amongst the brambles and is in store in Phil's garage. The tyres held air enough for to tow it to the garage but if anyone knows of a pair of 5.50 x 16 please let me know. The condition is remarkably good, a patch of rust about 8 x 6 inches through the base plate and some along the edge of one side of the hose store boxes. A high power hose took off the muck, and a lot of paint showing that it was originally grey. Brakes are a bit sticky, but worked free so that;s a simple strip and clean. The next thing will be the pumps compliments of Andy. With the odd collection of bits that came with the trailer one running pump is almost a definite, maybe even both.

ย 

The trailer has at some stage been fitted with NATO trailer socket and screw in lights. Though so far I can't find a data plate on it.

clean trailer.jpg

Edited by Tony B

If I recall, that trailer was complete at one time but was stripped for scrap value, which I thought was a very short sighted decision.

Correct, Grasshopper! There were apparently two at one stage. The engine was supposed to be 'In the shed', but apparently that was scrapped as well. Mind you if the place is ever emptied it may turn up. Next bit is to try and negotiate some nozzles and fittings. There in there somewhere.

Finally thanks to Andy, I now have two pumps! :-D With the odd bits awe already have, mainly the two engine header tank filters, should be able to get both running. I'll post some picture tommorow.

Current up date, slowly stripping them down, engines are both free but no sparks. Silly little things where they have sat like the carb floats stuck,. They are remarkable little machines, every thing is brass or alloy, no screws or bolts have frozen so far, but getting the exhaust primer valve off is going to be some fun. Time to break out the old Plumbers blow lamp. Work keeps getting in the way.