Jump to content
greyhound32122

another Diamond T 980 restoration

Recommended Posts

On 2/17/2019 at 12:05 PM, attleej said:

 

John is right about liner corrosion on Rolls Royce engines.  With an Eagle, which is very similar to C range, it MUST be run with 50% antifreeze.  Obviously good quality A/F.  I am sure test running it without would not be a problem.  Rolls also supplied a corrosion inhibitor for use in sunnier climes.

John

thank you for the pointer John i put a 60/40 mix in write from the start so i'll top the A/F up a bit more as the truck has sat for a few years with no coolant in it at all.

sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an amusing incident with my dry sump C6 in a Constructor,  a liner seal developed a leak and about a gallon of coolant ended up in the sump.  On starting, the scavenge pump transferred the water to the oil tank with such force that it shot a jet of oily water about 10 feet upwards, fortunately the oil filler cap was spring loaded which acted as a safety valve.

Moral of the story is to always check the oil and coolant levels before start up after standing for a while, the loss of water could have been due to a head gasket failure which may have filled a cylinder with coolant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting story luckily in my case the bottom hose had been pulled and all the coolant drain taps opened.

i put a bore scope down as many of the water ways as i could and they all looked very clear.

the oil cooler was in good condition and the sump was fairly clean as well so the engine at least had been looked after.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

getting a bit further this weekend, one battery box fitted and half the fuel pipes. been to see the cab again which is ready for paint end of next week and the clutch is not to far away either i hope.

 

030.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

collected the cab from Jason Jeffries today and absolutely delighted with the result of all his hard work looking forward to fitting gauges and all the other bits n pieces to the skuttle. still waiting for the clutch and release bearing but ounce i have those will be ably to drive it. so getting closer and looking on track to have it out this year. 

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see that you're getting close, great looking rig... The most exciting part will be when you test drive it for the first time without the cab!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just waiting for the clutch then we can have ago, think it is a un written rule you got to test drive with no cab lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, for it would be a royal pain in the b----cks to do it twice on account of a bad throw out bearing or transmission... The work you're doing seems monumental, since all I have ever done are jeeps; and now trying to do a replica Chevrolet WA (30 CWT) LRDP,  which is a real challenge in terms of certain parts to give it some originality...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

been using all the spare hours in the day getting as much small parts fitted to the skuttle and getting the last of the fuel and air lines in. the clutch came back on thursday which was a huge relief as it has been gone for 4 months know but it has mean't i can fill that large hole in the middle of the truck. needed a bit of time spent re adjusting the clutch pedal linkage and the clutch air cylinder linkage (for operating the winch) but all expected. 

next steps will involve having a complete new wiring loom made and getting the fuel tanks repaired/fitted then the cab can be fitted. still aiming to have the truck ready for Welland but will see how we get on.

001.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

018.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

been making new mounts to fit the air cleaners, originally these were both mounted side by side on the off side of the engine bay. but i am loosing the bulged bonnet so i can go back to the nice clean original lines. also got the new US diamond plate at the benders being cut and bent up. soon as they are done i can get the near side running board sorted, battery box on bit more pipe work then bolt the cab on.

also waiting for various parts to turn up so i can sort the exhaust system and plumb the air cleaners into the inlet manifold. so getting closer and closer to driving it.    

002.JPG

001.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

009.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no i wont take her out till she is finished John but it looks like i'll be taking something to cerney though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...