Driverless Cars

LarryH57

sadly I think the answer is yes, some condescending politician will tell us its best for us and take away any opportunity to travel freely at our own risk...what an exciting world we have ahead of us...roll on teleportation...beam me up scotty...

i already own a teleport....

Just a thought; if initially a driverless car won't actually be allowed to go out without a human on board in case it needs human intervention, then perhaps those among us who like to drive could just switch to manual and drive like the good old days, well only until the on-board computer snitches on us to the Car Insurance Company!

But then the Insurance Companies might just give us so many miles of leisure driving with the majority on auto?

As for totally automatic vehicles (without a human on-board) the technology is certainly coming but for every invention there is going to be a counter culture of people who want steal the vehicles or their contents if used for parcel delivery. As in war there are going to be counter measures to confuse or disable them.

How will a driverless car refuel itself?

What happens if it gets a pucture?

How will it cope with gated roads, user worked level crossings, etc?

How will it know if a ford is passable?

Can it pick up hitch-hikers?

Ultimately what is the point in a driverless car?

1. sensors will be able to detect that easily, and without much help they can use run flat tyres to get to somewhere safe and then the people can change cars..easy peasey..

2. sat nav is so advanced these days they pose no problems at all, they would ask the passenger to open the gate.

3. radar can easily determine the depth of a ford...

4. maybe but definitely only the pretty ones...

5. Ultimately what is the point in a driverless car safer transportation and manageable risk...currently individual driving standards vary enormously from the very competent to the dangerous, and even the very competent can have a moment when they are distracted...the drivers less car will never be distracted will never change its ability will never be compromised by events around it...or should not be...so the world will be safer and you will be able to get from a-b quicker and with much less fuss and be able to work all the time you are being transported...boring as hell and no fun whatsoever but hey ho...this is progress...

Edited by paulob1

sadly I think the answer is yes, some condescending politician will tell us its best for us and take away any opportunity to travel freely at our own risk...what an exciting world we have ahead of us...roll on teleportation...beam me up scotty...

i already own a teleport....

Never going to happen with the theoretical methodology proposed by Trekkies and allied enthusiasts.

The theory is that the object is utterly destroyed, following a detailed scan of its constituent particles. In some versions, the resulting energy is transmitted and reassembled, in others it is discarded and a new copy of the object assembled at the destination.

Why is this not a good idea?

Technology - what kind of incredible computing power would we need to scan every particle in an object? And how much energy to disassemble said object? How to transmit it without loss or distortion?

Physics - Heisenberg's (quantum) Uncertainty Principle dictates that the momentum and velocity of a particle cannot both be determined. Also applies to other properties which are more esoteric. So you can't even do the complete scan.

But my greatest objection: can that elusive, ineffable quality we call the soul be transmitted? Is it just a phenomenon - or delusion - arising from a set of biochemical reactions? I think not. If I step into a Transmat/Transporter/Teleporter or whatever, who comes out the other end? Not me. A facsimile - even if perfect, and with my thoughts and memories in full, he will declare "I am Shamouti ben Yafo!" - and will be lyimg. If he is a perfect me, does it matter? Yes, to the real me, now dead. No thanks.

If the car was invented in the last decade, there's now way it would be petrol powered or 'driven' by the passenger or privately owned.

A fully automated road system makes a lot of sense. Letting the 'joe public' loose with a 500hp vehicle doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm not anti car, I have loads of them. It will be a very sad day when human operated vehicles are consigned to special roads, but it is inevitable.

There's a reason we don't all own our own private trains!

• 4 weeks later...