Dorking covenanter recovery

eddy8men

It took no foresight - Dan Snow , on the day - you may as well just hand the bloke a GS service spade & pick-axe - then walk off stage ,, just make certain the camera is rolling

Just so long as it isn't Ant & Dec ...

Andy

• 1 month later...
What has happened with this Covenanter dig?

I am surprised this thread has not been looked at in a while.

last update from November

BBC has got involved so it's anyones guess now. i want to do it as soon as possible but the vineyard owner wants the publicity so i'll have to hurry up and wait !

however i have been out collecting a few little bits and bobs in the meantime :-D

Since the TV people are now running the show, and they don't like rolling out all their gear and film crews just to film in pouring rain, I would expect this to commence sometime late May/ early June? April seems to be 50% rainy days , but then again so is May and June, drops to 45% in July :-D

Rick any interesting "bobs" to share? A turret would be nice

• 3 weeks later...

we're pulling the tank out on the 23rd (next tuesday) if anyone wants to come and watch. i've enlisted the help of a friends recovery truck and we expect, if all goes to plan to be winching it out in the early afternoon. let's hope there is enough tank left to recover :)

we're pulling the tank out on the 23rd (next tuesday) if anyone wants to come and watch. i've enlisted the help of a friends recovery truck and we expect, if all goes to plan to be winching it out in the early afternoon. let's hope there is enough tank left to recover :)

All the best, wish I was in the area,

it's my recovery, not a tv programme, if they want to film me doing it then ok but i won't be told what to do. i would much rather do it off camera but the vineyard wants the publicity (which is fair enough) and besides it will be good for the "cause" to get a few more people interested in trying to save these tanks.

so in answer to your question yes i will put up some pics when i get back.

it's my recovery, not a tv programme, if they want to film me doing it then ok but i won't be told what to do. i would much rather do it off camera but the vineyard wants the publicity (which is fair enough) and besides it will be good for the "cause" to get a few more people interested in trying to save these tanks.

so in answer to your question yes i will put up some pics when i get back.

Good for you.....you started all this so you should have some say..look forward to the updates.:saluting:

I went to have a look at the hole in the ground, Rick has, at time of writing, dug along both sides to the bottom of the tracks and along the back, pulling out a length of track and much rusty metal. He announced at one point that another 20 minutes and he would be needing the prime mover to winch it out!

Then the BBC got into the hole..... 25 minutes later..................

The experts in the meantime were deciphering the markings on the back of the tank, I will leave them to report what they discovered as I was just being nosey and looking over their shoulders. :)

Sadly I had to leave before the winching began but there are plenty of cameras around so expect to see some good video and pictures.... the battery on my potato phone went when I tried to take a couple for posterity :(.

Edited by rog8811

Tip Top.. got a line on a turret?

Interesting question, when I arrived the low loader was parked a bit away from the dig site and on the swan neck was sat a turret that looked to me very similar to the type used on the Covenanter, I knew it was not from the one in the ground as it is well known that it doesn't have one so is there already good news there?