Jump to content
64EK26

Bedford MWC restoration

Recommended Posts

More metal bashing....

IMG_6012.thumb.JPG.d36d2e92551fde27988384af5dace0f1.JPGIMG_6013.thumb.JPG.d512512cb288d3e57ae41f1b6e4d08aa.JPGIMG_6014.thumb.JPG.b9425db3a41af75fd1d4840281b022f0.JPGIMG_6015.thumb.JPG.aae67cbe595cd7cf8afde8f7b6a4f462.JPGIMG_6016.thumb.JPG.327e8d29e66c88ffe3736a496d7d09f5.JPGIMG_6017.thumb.JPG.02e89f311adeb25f5911534d063ae6b6.JPG

 

Just waiting for some heavy gauge bar to arrive so I can finish the spare wheel carrier., then the jerry can support on the near side after that is all the pipe work (and supports) for the taps  (Still looking for pumps and filters)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'r all looking for pumps and filters :)  I can only think that when the tanks were removed from the trucks probably to sell to Farmers the filters were removed at the same time time and weighed in as scrap as they had no use.

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spare wheel carrier nearly completed, the part that fits on the tank is done and is way for git blasting and etch priming (along with the mudguard supports). Just got to mill a 1/2" slot in the bar that attaches to the spare wheel.

So I started on the jerry can holder and water pipe gallery support and pipework.

IMG_6043.thumb.JPG.7e7480038fdd505f540d301f1fca7bbe.JPG

A few holes to fill

IMG_6044.thumb.JPG.85507ee1e4743161277bc94de03bcb11.JPG

Hope to pick up a decent 1944 dated jerry can at War and Peace if the prices there aren't astronomical

IMG_6045.thumb.JPG.1c629e2b7db042500adfa0d70c160a64.JPG

Won't have a chance to do much in the next couple of weeks as I need to get ready for W&P

Cheers

Richard

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still here…

Making more bits etc...

Parts for Hoopsticks, these are to allow the tilt to rotate and sit upwards

IMG_6131.thumb.JPG.e13415960d9341460da9a437fe616b79.JPG

Lift and Dot with long (No.10-24 UNC) threads to hold the front grille on

IMG_6144.thumb.JPG.f34d92723b20d55b878a59930fa4b7df.JPG

Brass ferrules for side screens

IMG_6163.thumb.JPG.d42595dd75793dfd07a5b5d09fe86a85.JPG

And painting

IMG_6164.thumb.JPG.483a1fe86435ea1a7811120622f6e432.JPG

Rear back board

IMG_6178.thumb.JPG.6853bacb9c7fd7223322decad94faa90.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Richard, I was thinking of putting a thin spacer under the central post so that it would be possible to remove the binnacle without undoing the central post. It is still retained by the 4 c/s screws across the top, even if it is not trapped by the L-bracket at the bottom of the post.

Do you think it’s workable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2019 at 8:36 PM, simon king said:

Richard, I was thinking of putting a thin spacer under the central post so that it would be possible to remove the binnacle without undoing the central post. It is still retained by the 4 c/s screws across the top, even if it is not trapped by the L-bracket at the bottom of the post.

Simon

On the only photos I have there is a space under the central bar like this503351460_image17.thumb.jpg.605cdde9bb6ccfff701b45c2c9161e5b.jpg

I have spaced the gap with a small block that is screwed into via the lip on the bulkhead.  IMG_6320.thumb.JPG.a081fb1dd88fdc6846b911d655ad7ec2.JPG

The bolt is proud and locates in a hole drilled in the central pillar. This way, the window position is always set and fully supported, the "L" bracket then clamps the upright in place.  Hope this helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks Richard, that's useful, just got to get my frames repaired now

 

 

Edited by simon king

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi goanna

Thanks for posting the video, I haven't seen that one before. Interesting to see an early MWC with the rear covered. I think that this rear cover was made in the field.

Cheers

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

I am still here...

Finally got up to the "shed" , first time since lockdown begun...

Truck still there, but a few spiders had decided to take up residence..

Today the floor pan I made a little while ago ,  got fitted

IMG_6644.thumb.JPG.ff0d8dd466fbe19ac7d8b4c2b3e042af.JPGIMG_6645.thumb.JPG.0ea71b296c736d50e56e8287c577fc00.JPG

 

Another installment next week ....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

Not too much time this week at the "shed", managed to get some painting done and re-fitted thepassenger seat, battery box and base of drivers seat along with making the access panels for the floor pan

IMG_6660.thumb.JPG.b0d5c2d8ffaaf175a7e442083d5db8dd.JPG

IMG_6661.thumb.JPG.7a155b0d2fdb4296d78e6de471dd57eb.JPG

Next job is making the brackets for the gun mounts

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi

This arrived in the post last week

IMG_6651.thumb.JPG.37b409771f7d8c6aac09e20d99f21e62.JPG

IMG_6652.thumb.JPG.1b390c436bf8ab40580b14dd0e730b0d.JPG

It is a NOS Power Pump for my truck, It is an early one as it has a dog drive that is designed to fit on the front of an MWC and engage with the Crank Shaft Pulley

56905100_2304089346538029_3531982925849427968_o.thumb.jpg.e43cbc4d6fa81aa2f169d9e9fb71985c.jpg

107700644_1178378215859864_3772202223412063644_n.jpg.19e3fdd7918e19624e08b3105b642933.jpg

and the inlet ports are different (this is the early type)

IMG_6657.thumb.JPG.65d1e3ec5534b60cc9fb1e267df8f2d1.JPG

On mine it is driven from a gearbox PTO via a chain drive (photo from Tomas Higgins)

20190117_134921.thumb.jpg.c06574947bdde327635dba528c2c11e0.jpg

Fortunately, a long time ago, I acquired the correct inlet port

IMG_6654.thumb.JPG.cb76e8d93ed76dbf3c464161c0e01f0f.JPG

Have also made the 7/8" BSP pipe fittings for the pump outlet.

IMG_6662.thumb.JPG.f438f09b77a1203f4bb1eba034dc39c1.JPG

Working out how to make the split pillow/plummer block that holds the pump in place.

I have also started work on making my own filters, although I am still looking for hand pumps

Edited by 64EK26
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that last couple of days I got round to doing some of the "just jobs", the ones that always take longer than you think...

Drilling large holes in the rear out-riggers to take the rear cross braces, the cross braces are 6mm thick angle section that has has the ends bashed over.

IMG_6684.thumb.JPG.16b9f1330c451ce4e5ddb741ade75495.JPG

and fitting the rear towing eyes

IMG_6686.thumb.JPG.4a7f5f28dbd398688975b58993baabf8.JPG

threading the pipes that go from the water inlet to the hand pumps and checking that the brass fittings look correct.

Nearly finishing off the mudguard angle brackets that attache to the tank.

IMG_6688.thumb.JPG.35c89cb6d46b32aad906cb806593d0f1.JPG

Trial fitting the brackets for the water filters

IMG_6687.thumb.JPG.9b3e61c95e0eab921b1a66ba7cfe1374.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming along nicely and should look excellent when finished.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work !  I need this type of information for my CS8 water tank project but I don't know where or how the Morris differs to the Bedford when it comes to the details .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does look very good, nice to see the progress.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys - nice to see who is taking an interest

It has been really good to get to do some work on the truck, but lockdown has given me a chance to make some other bits...

Next installment on Friday

(goanaa - PM sent)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 8:11 PM, 64EK26 said:

Thanks guys - nice to see who is taking an interest

It has been really good to get to do some work on the truck, but lockdown has given me a chance to make some other bits...

Next installment on Friday

(goanaa - PM sent)

Hi,

I am following your posts with interest as I am currently building a 1/35th model of the MWC by Gecko Models.

Could I ask if you could post some more pictures of the engine, if you have any, as this would be a help to add additional details to the engine.

Cheers

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

Last week I posted some pictures of the filter brackets....

During lockdown I decided to make my own Stellar Filters as they rarely come up for sale and when they do they are very expensive, so trial fitted one of them today ...

IMG_6692.thumb.JPG.12635b81bb6fe566e41a407af8427a37.JPG

They are functional although the water that passes through them isn't filtered.

IMG_6693.thumb.JPG.be3e452b0693f1b8b3fdf62a466e9665.JPG

I have the choice of straight or elbowed hosetails, I will end up using the elbowed ones as these will attach to the hand pump (I am considering making these).

IMG_6674.thumb.JPG.bf4f6556ceb59a38097cdaa527126fd3.JPG

Filter outlet - to "T" port on top of the tank (Next think on my to make list)

IMG_6678.thumb.JPG.cb9c9747e2d899f134b18ac43c5129fa.JPG

Back Flushing Drain Valve, couldn't find any siutable ones so had a bit of fun making these, including the adapter for old 3/4" copper pipe (A friend of mine has give be a length of this pipe which has been sitting in the back of his shed for 30+ years)

IMG_6676.thumb.JPG.1f8c9296172039155c16e3404f258bd3.JPG

Overall very pleased with the result and still generating loads of brass swarf.

IMG_6679.thumb.JPG.80a32b518ab2dcbe61a42e0f503f7bf5.JPG

 

 

IMG_6675.JPG

IMG_6677.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 64EK26 said:

Hi

Last week I posted some pictures of the filter brackets....

During lockdown I decided to make my own Stellar Filters as they rarely come up for sale and when they do they are very expensive, so trial fitted one of them today ...

IMG_6692.thumb.JPG.12635b81bb6fe566e41a407af8427a37.JPG

They are functional although the water that passes through them isn't filtered.

IMG_6693.thumb.JPG.be3e452b0693f1b8b3fdf62a466e9665.JPG

I have the choice of straight or elbowed hosetails, I will end up using the elbowed ones as these will attach to the hand pump (I am considering making these).

IMG_6674.thumb.JPG.bf4f6556ceb59a38097cdaa527126fd3.JPG

Filter outlet - to "T" port on top of the tank (Next think on my to make list)

IMG_6678.thumb.JPG.cb9c9747e2d899f134b18ac43c5129fa.JPG

Back Flushing Drain Valve, couldn't find any siutable ones so had a bit of fun making these, including the adapter for old 3/4" copper pipe (A friend of mine has give be a length of this pipe which has been sitting in the back of his shed for 30+ years)

IMG_6676.thumb.JPG.1f8c9296172039155c16e3404f258bd3.JPG

Overall very pleased with the result and still generating loads of brass swarf.

IMG_6679.thumb.JPG.80a32b518ab2dcbe61a42e0f503f7bf5.JPG

 

 

IMG_6675.JPG

IMG_6677.JPG

Works of art. Lovely to see such workmanship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When i was in the steam engine phase of my life we always refered to the brass and bronze bits as the jewelry, there is some lovely bling there!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...