Bedford MWC restoration

64EK26

Hi

Thanks for the info on the taps, at leaset I know where to get new corks

Busy day at the shed, Land Rover all ready for MOT, and more work on the engine block

attachment.php?attachmentid=128051&stc=1

I think have worked out what all the tapped holes are

attachment.php?attachmentid=128052&stc=1

except for the one near the bell housing, this was full of crud, still trying to get it all out, is this another water drain point ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=128053&stc=1

Cheers

Richard

Side of Block.jpg

Tapped holes in Block.jpg

Small Drain Tap.jpg

Just interested in your new PTO control ,will this new control lever fit under the cover plate in cab floor ?

As Simon says it passed through the cab floor, see attached photo from Tomas's restoration (look at top Right Hand Corner)

attachment.php?attachmentid=128146&stc=1

also on the side of the instrument panel, there is a brass plate (see below), Not sure what the 1-10 relates to.

attachment.php?attachmentid=128151&stc=1

Power Pump Control and wood work-2.jpg

Power Pumping Plate.jpg

I believe that the rear springs are the uprated ones fitted post war when the MWs were uprated to 1 ton. The war time ones have fewer but thicker leaves.

David

The 1941 parts manual quotes 13 leaves for an MWC, I don't have a later parts manual. The springs I have bought are in superb condition and are the same as Thomas's ones see http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?15406-Bedford-MWC-66144-water-tank/page3

The set that came with the vehicle are 13 leaf and probably orginal, however one of the main leaves where the chackles fit is broken and all the other leaves are badlly worn. I had considered getting a set made, but the ones I picked up yesterday were a very reasonable price and far less than getting a replacement set made.

The spings came apart easily and the leaves I have looked at so fare are very clean an show no signs of wear, I was surprised that the top two leaves are inverted.

attachment.php?attachmentid=128166&stc=1

Separtated Rear Springs.jpg

Thanks for the photos Tom

Spent the whole day cleaning bits...

attachment.php?attachmentid=128398&stc=1

Still looking for the air filter elbows, straight pipe and mounting bracket.

Does the air filter assembly (LHS in photo) come apart ? or is it jut the case you clean it out with petrol?

Tomorrow, I will be getting the chassis ready to go to the grit blasters:-)

cleaning.jpg

Thanks Tom, e-mail sent

Chassis all ready to go...

attachment.php?attachmentid=128479&stc=1

Also started taking the pistons out, I will probably change the big end shells as they have a slight scoring marks on them but the crankshaft loo fine. Will check all rings and bore size and eccentricity (hopefully none)

Chassis on trailer.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Let the rebuild commence (well sort of)

Chassis back from grit blasters and power coated (colour a bit darker than I expected). Also loads of small bits blasted and etch primed.

Rear Springs now fitted :)

Rear Axle loosely fitted, just realised the spacer between the spring and the axle shouldn't be there. This spacer is used with earlier springs, like othe ones I have but top leaf broken and others very badly worn. The 25 leaf spring came in at No.62898. I got these at a very reasonable price (much less than having new leaves made) so these will do at the moment.

attachment.php?attachmentid=129149&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=129150&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=129151&stc=1

I have a little work to do on the rear brakes, I have re-lined cylinders, but the shafts of the pistons are a bit worn, so I will re-make these in stainless steel.

image 1.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 3.jpg