Panzer 2 turret

johann morris

I've said it once, I'll say it again, EPIC fabrication skills!  I am assuming you have a well equipped machine shop? (Don't tell me you're using some hand files, a pillar drill and an angle grinder....)

You should have got someone in to video the construction process from start to finish. A lot of people, me included, love to watch skilled people at work.

There's a project on Youtube which is a series of build videos showing the process of putting a 4WD toyota celica engine and running gear into a mini. It's been going on for maybe four years now and has a bit of a cult following. Project Binky.

It's so popular, they have sponsorship and merchandise now! Their videos get 500k views...

Sometimes they take a whole episode showing how they fabbed up a bracket for something! It's interesting as they show the whole process including cockups.

Anyway, keep it up, we are all waiting with bated breath to see the next installment!

Well Brdm, you are not the first to mention youtube but i have to admit, that apart from 3 forums, where i post updates on projects, emails and purchasing bits, the internet is not really my cup of tea. Saying that since your suggestion, i am now investigating putting it on youtube, that is, when i work out how to do the videos and everything else.

I would consider my workshop as basic but thats compared to others that i used to work in. I have a lathe, a bridge port milling machine, another milling machine, 2 pillar drills, a basic bender and a compressor.plus of course a welder. No cnc's, although i would love a cnc milling machine and lathe as they make life so simple and quick. Maybe one  day i will make some money out of this and treat myself, who knows.

The beginings of the track return rollers

Jon

DSC04624.JPG

DSC04625.JPG

DSC04626.JPG

DSC04627.JPG

DSC04628.JPG

DSC04630.JPG

Well Jon, the trick is to get the video out there and the viewers. Sponsorship could follow, providing more tools and kit and of course you can get income from ads...

Bad Obsession Motorsport is a good example of not needing to be a natural entertainer and letting the metalworking skills speak for themselves.

Colin Furze only does Youtube videos now and he was just a plumber larking about in his shed making crazy stuff...

Roll on getting a some CNC kit and churning out a a load of Panzer Tank kits!    

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy making the track return roller hubs. As usual, I have been using materials that are locally available, rather than ordering specific sized materials, so a little bit of adaption is required. The main hub starts as a piece of tube cut and machined to length, then a flange is welded in each end of the tube and then set on the lathe so that the rings can be bored out to suit the centre bearing housing. This bearing housing is then welded in place. A ring is then welded on to the outside of one end of the tube for two reasons. Firstly to give the impression that the material is thicker and closer to the originals dimensions and secondly to give the polyurethane tyres something to bond to when I cast them in place. This assembly is the reset on the lathe and bored out to the bearing diameter size and correct internal lengths. A separate ring is then welded on to the opposite end of the hub, for the same reasons as the first. Reset on the lathe and then again faced to the correct lengths. Each time the hub is reset in the lathe, for each operation, it has to be adjusted so that the assembly rotates true to within 0.02mm, so you can see its a time consuming process.

Once the main hub housing is complete, the next items that need machining are the two retaining flanges. The rear flange houses an oil seal and the front flange locks everything in place, As with the main housing its not a quick or simple process, hopefully the pictures are self explanatory.

Finally, the finished assembly and a picture of an original return roller on the PZ2 at the Bovington Tank museum.

I hope that makes sense.

Jon

DSC04636.JPG

DSC04637.JPG

DSC04650.JPG

DSC04651.JPG

DSC04641.JPG

DSC04642.JPG

DSC04036 (2).JPG

DSC04643.JPG

• Like 1
  • Up 1

Thanks Ed.

To be honest, it's more off cuts / left overs more than shelf items. If i use off cuts i get the material that much cheaper. Makes sense to me and if i wanted to be 100% accurate i would have to have alot of these components cast and thats a no go for me.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following this thread with great enthusiasm. Your skill in fabrication and engineering is inspiring.  You certainly should try the 'YouTube' route, I am sure many companies would sponsor your work and want to be associated. I have seen various channels grow and become sponsored from the likes of Land Rover parts dealers, to the tool manufactures themselves providing tools for a quick 'plug' of their goods; it may cut your costs and become very beneficial.

I cannot wait to see the finished product, and hopefully someday at a show! 

Keep up the great work.

Regards

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks paul its good to think that other are enjoying this process as much as me.

Wheels, wheels, thats what i have been mostly making. Well only the one to start with, just to try my production concept and manufacture all the jigs that are required. The first components that I made were the bearing houses and flanges, really that's just more of the same old, same old. Then came the wheel outer flanges / sides, these are convex / concave depending on how you look at them, a spare land Rover rim came in handy as a press jig. The whole lot was then welded together and machined to ensure that the flanges were concentric to bore of the bearing housing.  Finally  the outer strip was wrapped around the outer flanges and hay presto one wheel. Only another 9 to make  :nut: 

DSC04656.JPG

DSC04661.JPG

DSC04660.JPG

DSC04659.JPG

DSC04665.JPG

DSC04666.JPG

DSC04680.JPG

DSC04681.JPG

DSC04682.JPG

DSC04662.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

I now have 10 complete wheels, that need their polyurethane tyres, 10 oil seal housings and 10 end caps. I am in the process of machining the shafts that go from the radius arms into the wheel bearings and hopefully by the end of the week I can finish the welding the shafts into the radius arms.  

For those keen gardeners amongst us, a nice picture of the turf/grass roof on top one of my buildings that I finished and planted late last year.

Jon

DSC04716.JPG

DSC04717.JPG

DSC04718.JPG

DSC04720.JPG

DSC04714.JPG

• Like 1
  • Up 1

Its going to be interesting to say the least Eddy but only time will tell how successful it will be.

I am currently reading the "A13 cruiser mkv Coventanter a technical history" book and that's one hell of an interesting tank that you have.

Jon

19 hours ago, johann morris said:

Afternoon all,

I now have 10 complete wheels, that need their polyurethane tyres, 10 oil seal housings and 10 end caps. I am in the process of machining the shafts that go from the radius arms into the wheel bearings and hopefully by the end of the week I can finish the welding the shafts into the radius arms.  

For those keen gardeners amongst us, a nice picture of the turf/grass roof on top one of my buildings that I finished and planted late last year.

Jon

DSC04716.JPG

DSC04717.JPG

DSC04718.JPG

DSC04720.JPG

DSC04714.JPG

Like the roof!

Whats the plan for the tracks?

10 completed radius arms and one fitted just to see what it looks like. I will be visiting the tank museum in August to get some more dimensions, so I am going to have a break from the project and see how much I can achieve on my Morris.

Jon

DSC04721.JPG

DSC04724.JPG

DSC04725.JPG

DSC02326.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I will be honest, apart from fiddling I have done bugger all but I have been down to the tank museum and got the measurements that I require to start again. The journey down there was hell, 7 hours, an hour of that was spent in a traffic jam outside Marlbourgh, which turned out to be caused by the bin men collecting the roadside rubbish bins, only in Britain could that happen. I am waiting for a metal deliver and then its offfff. I decided in the end to get a jaguar straight six petrol engine, so now I have a spare 300tdi Land rover engine to use somewhere.

Jon

DSC05238.JPG

48 minutes ago, johann morris said:

I will be honest, apart from fiddling I have done bugger all but I have been down to the tank museum and got the measurements that I require to start again. The journey down there was hell, 7 hours, an hour of that was spent in a traffic jam outside Marlbourgh, which turned out to be caused by the bin men collecting the roadside rubbish bins, only in Britain could that happen. I am waiting for a metal deliver and then its offfff. I decided in the end to get a jaguar straight six petrol engine, so now I have a spare 300tdi Land rover engine to use somewhere.

Jon

DSC05238.JPG

What are you planning for transmission and steering? I wondered if you were just going to drop in a complete CVRT engine and running gear? 432 engine and running gear might be  bit too big?