Panzer 2 turret

johann morris

I have been beavering away as usual and to tell the truth the turret ring took longer than anticipated but now I have a turret that rotates. I spent this weekend assembling the turret on to the upper hull and fitting all the various components. There are still a few details to finish but on the whole I am quite happy with it and excited to be starting the  running gear and lower hull, oh goody.

Just for a bit of  a change, I got a dummy to stand in the turret but don't tell my son I said that.

Jon

DSC04452.JPG

DSC04453.JPG

DSC04454.JPG

DSC04455.JPG

DSC04457.JPG

DSC04459.JPG

DSC04466.JPG

DSC04478.JPG

DSC04479.JPG

DSC04436.JPG

DSC04437.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
There doesn't really seem much to show you because I have been fabricating and machining lots of components ready to install into the hull. It all takes loads of time for what seems very little result. Firstly sorry for the quality of the pictures the light wasn't very good tonight. As you can see from the pictures ,the main hull has been welded together and over the next week I will attempt to weld the various components in place. I hope by tomorrow night to have rolled the front of the hull but its a major job with my very limited equipment so it may take more than one attempt but we will see.

The 3rd and 4th pictures are the inner and outer bearing houses for retaining the radius arms into the hull side and the plates with the holes in are strengthening ribs. First job tomorrow, before rolling the front, is to get the 4 front housings in place and accurately in line. Not an easy job by hand, these housings would have been machined on a special machine so that everything lined up perfectly but I don't have such a machine so fingers crossed.

Jon

DSC04511.JPG

DSC04512.JPG

DSC04516.JPG

DSC04517.JPG

• Like 2

I am not sure eddy, you have certainly  got your hands full with the covenanter. Its a challenge that I would love but I would imagine finding the parts is going to take time, a lot of money and more important than all that absolute dedication to the cause. You have my respect for taking it on and I am looking forwards to the updates.

Jon

A thought, for those bearing housings; if they turn out to not be quite lined up enough, an option is to phone about for a company that does mobile line-boring. It's a pretty common operation in heavy equipment repairs, and they can set up to machine it in-situ.

(Feel free to disregard this if you already knew, but it's good to have options just in case.)

• 1 month later...

Its going quite well apart from a virus that slowed things down somewhat. As you can see the curve on the front of the hull was a success with lots of leverage and heat, which was very welcome in the snow. All ten suspension arms have been fabricated and my next job is to turn the locating arms that locate the suspension arms into the hull.

Oh and I made an Easter chocolate cake, which my wife demanded with menaces.

Jon

Jon

DSC04530.JPG

DSC04531.JPG

DSC04543.JPG

DSC04569.JPG

DSC04570.JPG

DSC04574.JPG

DSC04575.JPG

DSC04576.JPG

DSC04579.JPG

DSC04561.JPG

DSC04562.JPG

• Like 3

Although I had drawn the suspension arm location shafts on CAD, I decided that I would make a set just to make sure that some plonker, thats me, hadn't cocked up. Well it turns out that I hadn't. The outer bearing housing retainer has an oil seal pressed in to stop the ingress of dirt. Then there's the complete set, bearing housing retainer, shaft, bearings, the relevant spacers and finally, the complete set installed in the hull. The hole in the end of the shaft is for a greasing point that I have to make, see below. I am not going to weld the arm to the shaft until I make the wheel axles and I don't think that I will do that until I have made a wheel. Only 9 more sets to make.

Jon

DSC04589.JPG

DSC04590.JPG

DSC04591.JPG

DSC04592.JPG

DSC04593.JPG

DSC04594.JPG

DSC03993.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Making money doing this sort of work would be very nice, all I need are some customers. From my experience most of the locals here in midwales are more interested in tractors and sheep. It seems that mid wales is too far from civilisation for most to venture. 

The hull, turret, upper hull are all 6mm to keep the weight down but packed out where necessary  to give the impression of being thicker. The curved mantlet is actually a 12mm x 6mm frame skinned in 1mm. The suspension components are made of various sized material.

Jon

Evening all,

I have managed to finish the 9 remaining suspension arm shafts and associated components and the spring retention rollers, well that's what I am calling them. As I don't have any technical construction details of these, this is my version. The spring retainer rotates as the spring is flexed by the suspension arm, the unit consists of a shaft on a back plate and a housing. The housing contains an oil seal at the inner end, followed by a bearing, then a spacer followed by a second bearing. This is the pressed onto the shaft and held in place with a washer and a bolt. Another spacer is followed by a 3mm section o ring and an end cap, all held in place by a circlip. The last picture is an original unit. The original has an oil / grease point in the centre of the end cap, on my version this is just a dummy that can be unscrewed and replaced with a grease nipple so that the unit can be filled with grease on final assembly.

Jon

DSC04596.JPG

DSC04597.JPG

DSC04598.JPG

DSC04599.JPG

DSC04600.JPG

DSC04601.JPG

DSC04602.JPG

DSC04605.JPG

DSC04606.JPG

DSC03995.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have at last, managed to fabricate the suspension arm travel stops / bump stops and attached them to the chassis. It seemed to take ages to complete these items but we have been in a perma frost for a week, that seemed like a month, snowed in and the workshop was frozen up, thats my excuse anyway. They are not perfect but as near as I could get them, the grey one is from the Bovington tank museums PZ2.

For my next trick I am going to make the track return rollers, now that will be fun.

Jon

DSC03996.JPG

DSC04611.JPG

DSC04612.JPG

DSC04613.JPG

• Like 1