austin eight ap military tourer

soviethoss

Question

7 answers to this question

thank you for the info ..no I have not worked on the engine it was in the car when I got it about a year ago all seems to be ok but wont start I think this is because of low compression ..done what you said but still only 60 max its the pressure I need to know what a Austin eight should be cheers steve

Anything between 85 to 100 psi on this size engine would be about right, on a warm engine with the plugs out and on the starter motor with a fully charged battery and as Richard notes throttle wide open. Variation between cylinders something in the region of +/- 10psi.

Pete

thank you for the info ..no I have not worked on the engine it was in the car when I got it about a year ago all seems to be ok but wont start I think this is because of low compression ..done what you said but still only 60 max its the pressure I need to know what a Austin eight should be cheers steve

Steve,

OK, so if you have not had the engine apart, I would say you need to remove the head and valves for a start. Side valves are known to stick on standing and at the least you will need to decoke and check the valves and seats, re-cutting seats and re-facing valves then lapping in. Also check the bores for wear. Before refitting the head, ensure it is true across the face and not warped.

I did rebuild one of these engines a few years ago.

regards, Richard

Steve,

To recap what Richard said, make sure you have the throttle open. Test the compression in the same conditions dry and with a teaspoon of oil in each bore. If there is no change in compression, you either have very poor bores / rings, so poor the oil won't seal them, or you have a valve or gasket problem.

It's likely as you're testing cold the compression will be low anyway, but 40 - 60 sounds very low. I'm not an Austin 8 expert but from what I've heard I'd expect more in the 90 - 120 range depending on exact engine / head spec.

Having said that, it would be worth going through spark, fuel, timing again just to make sure.

Given it's such a simple engine if you're suspicious you could just whip the head off and have a look for problems, but if you don't want to do that and you have a compressor available you could invest £20 in a cheap leakdown tester of eBay, which would give you more information.

Steve,

Given it's such a simple engine if you're suspicious you could just whip the head off and have a look for problems.

Anything between 85 to 100 psi on this size engine would be about right

Pete

Steve,

OK, so if you have not had the engine apart, I would say you need to remove the head and valves for a start

Regards, Richard

Sorry Richard, Pete, cross-post!

I was thinking maybe stuck valves as well, particularly if oil in the bores isn't sealing it.

Edited by Sean N