Should I save this Land Rover?

robin craig

I'm biased as I have an early 109'' 2A military, but yes save it, that is of course if you have undercover storage/space spare to keep it. You can sit on it while you look for some of the other missing specific 2a military parts. I'm guessing the chassis is shot?

Be aware, getting a mil 2a back to original spec and keeping it there is harder and more expensive than many realise.

But, I say save it :-)

It is a Rover 8 or Rover 10 - quite rare UK (for a early 10 - the sign is single wiper motor box LH end of bulkhead dash , later 10 = shallow sills (as S3) and headlamps in wing front panels - very rare as just a few Ex-RAF probably). Due to body condition would probably make a good project esp. if a new galv. replacement chassis fitted. In Canada - I suppose it depends if the chassis is repairable.

In the UK presently - nobody is 'investing' top $ for all the small bits to fully restore a S2 or S2A to the high level that a S1 seems to be worth - their ££ , their truck. S1 is a different market - more parallel to a WW2 Jeep + French built Hotchkiss / Hotchpotch..

Obtaining some detail parts could be difficult , project finished value - you may break even BUT I doubt few would understand and appreciate in Canada ?

Looking much neglected, in need of axles and wheels and tyres and engine and gearbox and shed loads of TLC.

I have a donor 88 civilian that could provide most of the missing bits.

Tell me I am crazy and this is a shed and I am barking mad.

I don't know what the going rate for a derelict Landrover is in Canada but.....

whether you buy it or not depends on ....

A: How much have you gotta pay for it and

B: are you ready willing and able to do all the work :)

and also C:.... which is ......

Do you have any foolish crazy notions of getting your money back and making a profit ?...

(Which if you are hopeful of ?.... brings me to suggest you should be seeking medical help instead of buying any more Landrovers :) )

The biggest problem would be a rivet-counter resto. if it were a FFR toastrack , on second perusal of ONLY two photographs - forget the tub antenna mounts - I suspect it is 12 volt - a much simpler task. Any chassis No. found on dumb-iron or on a nomenclature plate ?

As some has suspected it is not round the corner from me at all. I live in the Eastern end of Ontario below Ottawa and the vehicle is in Alberta near Edmonton, check out the map below, a few thousand clicks.

I am awaiting the owner sending me a picture of the data plate from the seat box, if he does that and it is a 12 volt I will consider saving it if it is a 24 volt toastie is it unlikely.

If I can get it loaded by others (paid for) and trucked back as part of another project then I I guess I might go for it.

We will see what the piggy bank has left for this one.

map of canada.jpg

1. Unlikely to be ex-RAF with that callsign painted on the door. Probably ex BATUS.

2. With antenna mounts on the tub, and a callsign, could well be an FFR and thus 24 volt.

3. Well, I've done Medicine Hat, Alberta to Toronto, but it did take a few days (but the car came off a scrap heap). Edmonton would be a bit further.

Chris

1. Unlikely to be ex-RAF with that callsign painted on the door. Probably ex BATUS.

2. With antenna mounts on the tub, and a callsign, could well be an FFR and thus 24 volt.

3. Well, I've done Medicine Hat, Alberta to Toronto, but it did take a few days (but the car came off a scrap heap). Edmonton would be a bit further.

Chris

-----

The chassis No. / VRM - should aid to identify if Rover 8 or Rover 10 (or a photograph of the dash). The callsign on door and Stone / OD finish does indicate Batus.

If a 10 , there were hardly any 24 volt - just Contracts WV7129 and WV6907 and these were for the RAF (although one in a rebuild blog on this forum set off RAF and was re-mustered to Army).

On the range they could have used a PYE Westminster only and utilised a tub mount for the antenna.

Possibly - this was some odd stay-back ? The paint does not look too bad considering most 8 & 10 would have been demobbed by 1980 , hardly 35 years of weathering ! in a bone yard. I have 34ES12 Rover 10 and that was manuf. abt. 1966/67 , a Rover 8 is going to be dated from late 1961 at earliest.

I have a Lightweight FFR 44KC42 (manuf. abt. 1985) , it spent time at Suffield , because I purchased it from MVS - I have the service record histoty inc. stamped for Fort Wainwright , Alaska (IIRC they wintered there). As far as I can tell - no evidence of a BATUS paint job or call sign on doors - ever , no way of knowing if it were Clansman equipped - but why send a L'wt FFR ? However if the idea was to binoc the call sign on the doors / or FV then communicate - a Westminster would be OK in a LR - possibly not in a tank ? ISTR in the late 1960's the Royal Signals 34 Northern Reg. (V) 109" FFR's had Larkspur + Westminster , the 12 volt 88" only a Westminster ,,

More pictures please. I love this project you found. :)

If you use parts of the civilian land rover... parts might come up later to rebuild the donor vehicle! In a few years when we plan to move to Canada we plan to haul a container load with spares. Engines, axles, gearboxes and boxes of all sorts