Army/RAF Wheeled Vehicle Contracts

DWS

Question

Hi All,

After a bit of a break I am re-starting my research on RAF BSA B40s. One thing is still nagging me, where do I find information regarding 1960s/1970 period Wheeled Vehicle Contracts? Is the information recorded anywhere?

The BSA Owners Club has the BSA Factory Despatch Ledgers and I have the info. about the despatch of the 135 RAF WD B40 from these. I also have copies of all 135 RAF MT Vehicle Record Cards from the RAF Museum, Hendon. So far all I have is the Contract Numbers and the dates the Contracts were action/machine built.

There were four Contracts for these machines: WV7334 (1968), WV7654 (1969), WV8547 and WV9274 (both 1970).

Someone somewhere must have raised lots of paperwork, back and fore between the MoD and BSA to prepare machine specifications, approve, order and action these contracts, so where might these records be? Can anyone help please?

Dave

4 answers to this question

Dave the sort of documents that are definable would be:

FVRDE/MVEE Specifications, I have quite a lot of these but none that cover what you are after.

Equipment Management Policy Statement/Letter/Directive, I have quite a lot of these but none that cover what you are after.

Defence Council Instructions. Sometimes things of relevance are covered briefly. I have complete sets of DCI(Army) for 1970 & DCI(General) for 1970 (partial set for 1968). But no DCI(RAF) for those years. Were they all RAF contracts?

Defence Council Instructions. Sometimes things of relevance are covered briefly. I have complete sets of DCI(Army) for 1970 & DCI(General) for 1970 (partial set for 1968). But no DCI(RAF) for those years. Were they all RAF contracts?

Hi Clive

Yes, all four contracts quoted are for RAF BSA WD B40s:

Contract WV7334 - 50 Motorcycles - Built March/May 1968 35 AX 17 to 35 AX 66

Contract WV7654 - 31 Motorcycles - Built March/April 1969 35 AX 67 to 35 AX 97

Contract WV8547 - 40 Motorcycles - Built March/April 1970 35 AX 98 to 36 AX 37

Contract WV9274 - 14 Motorcycles - Built June 1970 37 AX 92 to 38 AX 05

There's a set of General and RAF DCIs at Hendon, they appear to be complete for the years you're interested in.

Hi,

Thank you for that, So what information do General and RAF DCIs contain? How do they relate to the Wheel Vehicle Contracts I mentioned?

Edited 30/11/2016

Anyone know about DCIs?

Edited by DWS