Chaplain's Jeep

Goran

If i remember correctly from your letter in W & T you asked about markings on Chaplain's Jeeps. I sent you a photo of mine which had been just restored and which looked like this:

DSCN0642.jpg

Actually the writing in the windshield looks quite ragged on this photo. I dont remember it looking that bad before so i will go and have a look at it in a minute.

I have found this other photo to hand which is quite similar. I had some more but cant find them at the moment:

Chaplain.jpg

When i took the Jeep to a local show, a very Scottish bandsman saw me and came straight for me armed with his bagpipes. He came over to tell me that during the war that he a was a driver for a British Army Chaplain and that his Jeeps windshield had been marked up in the same way. However he had obtained a bridging plate and cut it into the shape of a cross, painted it white and mounted it on the top centre of the windshield.

As for Chaplains equipment. I have no original US Army stuff, although I do have a British Army Chaplains stole(?). I have watched things come and go on E Bay but they all make ridiculous prices. The one that i wanted but missed was the portable organ which sold for just $100, but shipping that from the USA would have cost an arm and a leg. One thing that i would like is the "banner" or flag that came in the Chaplains kit. A post on the G (which i see that you are familiar with) showed a picture of one but i have not been able to find a real one.

So my question to you (Goran) is... tell me everything that you know on the subject. :-D

Blessed be

Tim (too)

Right. I have just been into the garage to look at the Jeep and my signwriting really is not that bad. Quite respectable for being done in the field while under fire etc.

However, looking above the Jeep i noticed that i still have this on the shelf:

width=640 height=480http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/DSCN4489.jpg[/img]

It is a 44 dated 50cal (really) ammo box that has been painted green and had Chaplain painted on the lid. I understand that the Chaplains used whatever they could find to hold their equipment and not all of them received the portable altar kit. I found it in a antiques mall in the USA. My best find that trip. Have you ever come across any photos of anything similar in use.

Tim (too)

Incidentally, that is a folding canvas bucket on the shelf - and that is where i am going to leave it! :tup:

Hi Tim,

I remember your Jeep now. I have also been trying to get hold of US Chaplain's stuff and I'm as appauled as you of the prices. Funny you should mention the portable organ. I was also trying to buy it, and missed out! 100 USD for that piece was a very good price indeed.

Information on Chaplain's vehicles is, as you probably know, hard to find.

I'll go through my "picture archive" (fancy name, eh?) and send you the pictures I have of Chaplain's vehicles.

I didn't have the funds to purchase a MB/GPW, unfortunately, so I bought myself a 1944 Dodge WC51 at a NATO auction in Norway 1994. Got a set of new sparkplugs, changed the oil, got a tarp, and drove to Normandy. 3.500 kms in 2 1/2 weeks! Quite a trip...

Could you give me your e-mail address, for the pic's? Mine is:

goran_noren@yahoo.com.

As always,

Goran

• 1 year later...

Tim have you visited the Omaha Beach museum on the coast road I think at St Laurent, it had not been open long when we were there in 2004 and is owned by a young chap who has been collecting from childhood.

He has a superb collection presented to him by a US chaplain who served in Normandy.

• 10 years later...