Chain renovation

MiketheBike

Question

24 answers to this question

Cement mixer and soft sand polishes them up wipe with oily rag occasionally.

Yes it will, but beware it may damage the hardened surface, I certainly wouldn't use them for any recovery work after it had been done. We have a "fleet" of about 1500 chain hoists and when we need to de-rust chains we use a mix of leather off-cuts and nylon blocks as the cleaning medium, still use a cement mixer though;)

PT

Yes the cement mixer does a perfect job...but be prepared for unwrapping the chains from the padles in the mixer a few times if the chain links are small enough to go between the drum and paddle. Done it plenty of times in the past, needs water in there too to make the sand very runny.

Yes it will, but beware it may damage the hardened surface, I certainly wouldn't use them for any recovery work after it had been done. We have a "fleet" of about 1500 chain hoists and when we need to de-rust chains we use a mix of leather off-cuts and nylon blocks as the cleaning medium, still use a cement mixer though;)

PT

I doubt if any modern lifting / dragging alloy steel chain will have a hardened surface (skin) , less common higher grades + the lowest grade (most often used) 'T' (80) - this is through hardened for strength and wear resistance and then tempered back to gain shock-absorber properties ,,

Edited by ruxy
spelin

I doubt if any modern lifting / dragging alloy steel chain will have a hardened surface (skin) , less common higher grades + the lowest grade (most often used) 'T' (80) - this is through hardened for strength and wear resistance and then tempered back to gain shock-absorber properties ,,

I have been testing and inspecting lifting gear for the past 30 years, trust me all modern chain hoist chain has a hardened surface and the speed at which a chain can wear to failure point once this surface is compromised is frightening.

PT

News on me because if it had a hard surface - such as to protect your 2% extension wear limit, after that would be far too rapid , not counting some lifting chanes that have a plated finish. btw - I have been in lifting equipment since 1965 when wrought chains were still annealed every 6 months.

Barreling machine or a vibrating tumbler , using special plastic shapes of a sort of triangle based pyramid - they are impregnated with abrasive silica (different grades available) - ISTR done dry.

Press shops normally used a vibrating tumbler with similar abrasive blocks to remove shear flash on parts that were to be handled during assembly after , IIRC these were just Carborundum shapes & done wet.

Mixers get used for all sorts , I purchased a Honda powered Belle mixer that had been used by a bloke who cooked his own dog biscuits then broke them up in the mixer prior to bagging - can't have been quite right because the mixer was mint.

I presume you are going to fill the fuel tank with sand or other abrasive and seal all the holes then have it turned over and over by the mixer?

Please take a photo then when you do it and post it here!

It sounds like there are many possibilities

SLOSH (sealant) ,,

A bit of both as first step is rocks and nuts or something inside, to get rid of the loose stuff.

Second is acid treatment

Last is the sealant

Each step is supposed to be hold in you arms and shake it or slosh it vigorously..... pretty sure the novelty would wear thin pretty quickly.

I figure this would work on bigger tanks also especially with the tilt type mixers

Edited by fesm_ndt