Onan OTC 33 generator

Yeoman

Hi Guys,

I have just obtained this unit --

9158730c-534f-452a-a746-a69e648d347d_zpslxvr94xd.jpg

It was made by D W Onan & Sons of Minneapolis USA and is a battery charger producing 2018 Watts,12 volts, 133 Amps and runs at 2300rpm.It has been dated to September 1943.

The control pannel has 10 outlet connections - the top 2 are 6 volt and the other 8 are 12 volt.The connector sockets are Hubbell twist lock connectors - I have never come across these before, can anyone let me know what rating 'plugs' were used and where I can obtain replacements from please?

Does anyone know where this unit would have been used( eg at an airfield for charging plane batteries) and by who ( eg USAF or RAF).

If anyone can supply any information about this type of unit I would be very much obliged.

Thankyou.

All the best,

Kev,

Hi Guys,

For clarity here is a photo of one of the Hubbell sockets --

8719c39a-d670-4259-871a-8f4eab12b910_zpsg8fs12et.jpg

As you can see it is a 2 'pin' socket.To my inexperienced eyes the socket doesnt look as if it could deal with the size of cable required to charge batteries,I dont know what anyone else thinks.

All the best,

Kev.

Hi

The connectors are early versions of the Hubbell twist-lock family see http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/Press/PDFS/Hub9815.pdf and the current range catalogue at http://hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/catalogpages/section-b.pdf - the modern mains voltage ones range from 15 to 30 amps. Probably for charging medium sized radio and light vehicle batteries 30A per battery would be more than adequate - even 15 amps per socket is more than 1/10 of the stated 133 amp capacity anyway.

Regards

Iain