The Cold War Museum

thinking about it is not a bad choice, it will give me chance to learn how to run a museum, it will give me experience of running a public event and facility, it will teach me how and what people want from the museum, it will give me time to get it right, or at least improve it...the first pass will be a bit of a learning curve so in the beginning it may be the best idea...I may actually hate doing the museum...who knows...so this was I save myself a bit of money, get something i want partially and then if it goes to plan something even better later...

• Like 1

so we have very limited scope for the 28 day opening so it will have to be a private ticket only event..watch this space we are getting something even if its getting less and less by the minute...this country is screwed up, has no respect for history and is run by idiots with no vision, totally prejudiced and would not hold up a job in the real world for more than five minutes...planning is a made up world of complexities with the sole purpose of extracting more and more money out of individuals to feed the ever growing pension burden of the council staff...

• 2 months later...

I read with joy of the museum in America opening up and then thought about my own collection, we have well over 100 vehicles, mostly singles some doubles and a few more than that as spares. but along with all the other items I have close to 500 artefacts that will be on display...and that is not all of it...we want to start documenting it all...Debs our new admin lady is about to start...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a heart to heart with the council and asked why they are fighting me.  they genuinely, I felt, came back and said its not a fight its about policy and i have to give them enough evidence to go outside of policy...this is where of course it becomes the fight, what they want and what I can give they know is impossible, so whilst he is right its stacked in their favour not mine and they make the decisions.

I had a similar fight about forestry land, I could literally cut down every tree and burn it to the grown but build a structure on it OOOO no you can't do that. Well you can if you build it we don't know about it and no one complains for five years and you make use of it etc etc. Sometimes the planners don't have any sense as it's been replaced by rules and regulations. 

Edited by steverjuk

6 hours ago, paulob1 said:

I had a heart to heart with the council and asked why they are fighting me.  they genuinely, I felt, came back and said its not a fight its about policy and i have to give them enough evidence to go outside of policy...this is where of course it becomes the fight, what they want and what I can give they know is impossible, so whilst he is right its stacked in their favour not mine and they make the decisions.

Errr, Is Policy 'Law' now then these days?.......

l have been watching your  efforts for awhile and l would like to ask have you talked to the museums and galleries commission for your area  it's what they are for to advise and help yes its more official people but if you have not  sort their help  it may worth a try  l never liked having to deal with these type of people but some time its worth biting your lip

KIND REGARDS

WALLY

yes have been in contact and they can offer zero help...the Hampshire group have hidden away in their buildings some very special vehicles of the period all hidden away for no one to see...i could put these vehicles in the museum, but i have to get through planning first...

• 7 months later...

More missed dates but covid has been a bit of an exceptional event.  So we are still slowly working towards a partial opening this year but no idea when...the plan is to tidy the site once the rains stop, we will get the area fenced off this next few months to keep the cows out and we are going to lay down a couple of concrete pads and tidy up the road way...the concrete pads will hold the aircraft..for now and we will have a few marquees for use too...vehicles are getting done and many are ready for the displays...but its a lot of work and our volunteers are not allowed just yet...soon though very soon...

Paul, as the situation stands. I am of the Opinion that you will have to play the long Game!

Once open & up & running. ENSURE You Keep a Log, & a visitors book ( Hard Evidence ) of the footfall of visitor numbers.  The more you have come through the gate. Over a year or so, this WILL strengthen your argument for an established museum. & Worthy of Categorizing it as such. This with Promotional facilities, will spread the word. & bring in more visitors & money to the area.

When you are opening, Also ENSURE the press are informed. This will advertise & promote the Museum. & bring it to the attention of a much larger audience. 😉 local radio advertising it will also help! 👍

the flags are East Germany flying with the Soviet Flag, the British flag flying with lest we forget flag, i know wrong era but it has to be flown...then American French West German and Italian Flags.  I am about to erect a Nato Flag a Russian Flag and a Polish flag.  There is not Warsaw pact Flag.  I am also flying an NHS flag...on the campus I also have English Irish, Welsh and Scottish flags flying.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2021 at 9:58 AM, paulob1 said:

the flags are East Germany flying with the Soviet Flag, the British flag flying with lest we forget flag, i know wrong era but it has to be flown...then American French West German and Italian Flags.  I am about to erect a Nato Flag a Russian Flag and a Polish flag.  There is not Warsaw pact Flag.  I am also flying an NHS flag...on the campus I also have English Irish, Welsh and Scottish flags flying.

Just as long as you dont fly a Filthy, Disgusting, Evil & Nasty EU Flag Paul!......😵

Mind you thinking about it, if you do. Inform the council of this. & they will most likely grant your planning permission. There & then!...😂