The Cold War Museum

Say 'Holocaust' alone to most people and the majority response would be to link it to the Nazi concentration camps. However you proposed 'Nuclear Holocaust'. Nagasaka and Hiroshima are the only two nuclear bombs dropped in warfare hence the potential link. While clarified by ' a history of the cold war period ' some might misinterpret that or have already stopped reading.

I think your choice of 'Iron Curtain Museum...A History of life during the Cold War' is good.

• 1 month later...

Just so much negativity from people in the council.  They are just ignorant and mindless with little or no hope of ever being anything other than a worthless person coming to peoples homes and telling them you cant do this and you cant do that.  luckily this person is not the actual planning department.

PAUL

As l do not how you set out your project to sell the idea of your museum it is hard for any one to give advice  but l have had experience on three museum projects and have met every kind of short sighted idiot if l can help in any way please ask

REGARDS WALLY

Edited by wally dugan
spelling

7 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

PAUL

As l do not how you set out your project to sell the idea of your museum it is hard for any one to give advice  but l have had experience on three museum projects and have met every kind of short sighted idiot if l can help in any way please ask

REGARDS WALLY

I have worked in Council Building Control and alongside planners so as Wally says please ask.

What did they say, if not the planner is it a technician who is only gathering data

Richard

So I started the process of generating some public interest in the Museum.  I am looking for local knowledge and connections with the period, we have a thriving Polish community and am hoping many of them will have experience of the period that will make it interesting to hear their stories and maybe see pictures that can be used in the museum...memento's memorabilia etc etc.  But the process is now in the open.

Just a reminiscence from the time, but it may interest/amuse you.

I was with 11th Hussars LAD in Hohne in 1968 when the Warsaw Pact countries invaded Czechoslovakia. Having heard nothing about it beforehand, and being a Wednesday, we went to the airfield sports pitches for a game of football in the afternoon and wondered why the whole German army seemed to have mobilised. The entire time we were there, there was a constant stream of vehicles heading east. Why did the Germans react when the Brits took no notice? I never could understand why there was such a difference between the two allied armies and have never heard any explanation for it. 

Memories! Good luck with the museum. 

Steve.

1 hour ago, Ex-boy said:

Sadly I never had a camera at that time so have no pictures at all. It didn't seem to be worth having one then, but what memories they would evoke if I had had more sense.

Steve

At least write them down so not lost.

I'm sure anyone who served anywhere during the Cold War will have numerous memories of the time but it's picking out what is of interest to the wider public. I suppose even what I think of as mundane could be an eye-opener to others, so I will put my thinking cap on. 

Actually, my first memory of any action was soon after joining 11H LAD in Jan 68, when the unit was called out on a "quick train". Three of us had arrived together and not yet been allocated to vehicles and two of us ended up riding on the back decks of the HQ Sqn Cent ARV. Being early Jan it was bitter cold, so the heat from the decks made it quite bearable, especially as we were only out for a few hours. Just a pity the decks weren't a bit softer!

14 hours ago, Ex-boy said:

I'm sure anyone who served anywhere during the Cold War will have numerous memories of the time but it's picking out what is of interest to the wider public. I suppose even what I think of as mundane could be an eye-opener to others, so I will put my thinking cap on. 

Actually, my first memory of any action was soon after joining 11H LAD in Jan 68, when the unit was called out on a "quick train". Three of us had arrived together and not yet been allocated to vehicles and two of us ended up riding on the back decks of the HQ Sqn Cent ARV. Being early Jan it was bitter cold, so the heat from the decks made it quite bearable, especially as we were only out for a few hours. Just a pity the decks weren't a bit softer!

Even if you think mundane and start writing them down as may jog memory, sometimes does with me

• 4 weeks later...

seeing the architect tomorrow, hopefully to finalise the buildings, the council are going to issue an enforcement notice for me to remove the items from the field prior to the application going in which is a pain and makes me think I want to move elsewhere with my museum...why give it to an unresponsive and useless council so they can simply screw me around. I am sure I can find a council that will embrace my ideas.  i have had the local MP give me a heads up saying he is interested but I do not want to involve him at this stage.   

3 hours ago, paulob1 said:

seeing the architect tomorrow, hopefully to finalise the buildings, the council are going to issue an enforcement notice for me to remove the items from the field prior to the application going in which is a pain and makes me think I want to move elsewhere with my museum...why give it to an unresponsive and useless council so they can simply screw me around. I am sure I can find a council that will embrace my ideas.  i have had the local MP give me a heads up saying he is interested but I do not want to involve him at this stage.   

They do  seem to make you jump through hoops.

Lets hope you get it sorted soon.

should have the preliminary drawings for the museum building ready this week or next and then its getting all the ridiculous reports done, flood report, bat report tree report traffic report, all just excuses for wasting money...

9 hours ago, paulob1 said:

should have the preliminary drawings for the museum building ready this week or next and then its getting all the ridiculous reports done, flood report, bat report tree report traffic report, all just excuses for wasting money...

Hate to say but that's becoming the norm so don't feel they picking on you

• 7 months later...