The Cold War Museum

Tony Brilliant letter...you have hit the nail on the head, the Cold war was not just about the military and the land garbs made by RUssia and the US...it has influenced our lives in more ways than most people can imagine...when people come to the museum they will find all about its influence...in almost all our lives...keep the letters coming guys they are brilliant and very helpful...

and please do not forget if you have any memorabilia from the era, old photos of the berlin wall, checkpoint charlie old items from a bygone era that you no longer want or would like us to look after for you in the museum...all goods can remain your ownership if you wish or be donated to the museum...whatever you like...i am particularly after BAOR stories...etc etc...

• 2 months later...

thanks for all the support letters guys, more needed if you can find the time to drop a note to me it would be brilliant.  I have now changed the name as an American company has trademarked the name The Cold War Museum.  I am totally stunned that someone would trademark the name and the law today would no longer allow such a name to be so trademarked but it is and so I have to change the name...

the new name is The Nuclear Holocaust museum, a history of the cold war period...

send to paul.obrien@thecoldwarmuseum.com

PAUL l have followed this from the start and l know from my own experiences  how hard it is to jump through some of the hoops that get put in your way and up to now l have had the greatest  of admiration  for your efforts. The word  HOLOCAUST may give the wrong impression  can you  not use some form of iron curtain in the title as it will give you just as much scope in what you display l will continue to follow your efforts and wish you well

REGARDS WALLY

yes I think i understand what you mean but in america the word nuclear holocaust was used all the time...and it is from that era that much of the cold war stems...I really wanted it to be as far away as possible and because this is the phrase that was used it fitted nicely....the word itself is not for the sole use of one group of people and it should not be......so I sort of feel duty bound to use it as it was then....    

There is The Bentwaters Cold War Museum near to me, the Stevnsfort Cold War Museum in Denmark,  The Cold War Museum in Žemaitija, Russia, another in California etc. 

I would think The British Cold War Museum or even The Hampshire Cold War Museum would be better than Nuclear Holocaust. Can you have a Museum to something that never happened?

Museum of the War That Never Happened would be more apt.

Lets face it, when both the Russians and the British, Americans etc. were legitably allowed to send military personnel over the border to see what the other side was up to,, then it was not a war, just sabre rattling.

I am not in favour of 'Nuclear Holocaust' as a title.

Where has sense and sensibility vapourised to? I'd love to go and see 'The British Cold War Museum' with lots of Lt Stone-coloured vehicles as exhibits too! Oh yes, the Cold War was part of the reason HM Armed Forces were in Libya, Malta, Gibraltar, Egypt and, er, a many other Near and Mid East places other than BAOR and the UK.

RAF Idris, Tripoli was a dispersal airfield for the V-Bomber force, 22 Fd Engr regt RE openly built NBC defences in Tripolitania and, practiced for war against Soviet forces. At least one decoy airfield was built, inflatable decoy vehicles were deployed (though how many, types, where and exactly when I have yet to find out) and, as a decoy airfield existed, then surely decoy or scrapped aircraft would have been sat on it. Then just look at the might within the Wheelus Airbase, the biggest US airfield outside of the US ..... all those Mace and Matador missiles! The Matador being the world's first  first operational surface-to-surface cruise missile. Bomber, fighter and transport fleets and massive areas of desert bombing ranges. Yes, the chill of the Cold War was evident in Libya. A read of the good book by Griffin and Robinson should be had: 'The Royal Armoured Corps in the Cold War 1948-1990'.

Paul , in reading all the recent comments on your revised planned museum name , bear in mind your museum is here in Britain , where I believe the conception over the term Nuclear Holocaust may well differ from how viewed in America.

My opinion , you need a moment of reflection as of course the choice is yours. 

guys,  brilliant, thank you for your input, I feel the name is about to be changed again...I cant have the British Cold war Museum as its too descriptive, they the Americans could not have the The cold war museum today because its too descriptive and limiting, but in 2007 they could..... but I like the Museum of the Cold War.  what do you think and also Nuclear Armageddon, a history of why it never happened...i have posted the names on the facebook page to see if I can get feedback...your input is vital and immensely informative and helpful...

Like others I think including ' Holocaust ' in the name will be off putting to potential visitors. Might some think of the exhibits predominantly being linked to Japan 1945 ?

Something like ( British ) Museum of the Cold War would be both more appropriate and  not put off the general public.

Wow, David, I had not even thought of that.   I am amazed at how people today try to make connections because of a word..I have never heard the nuclear bombs used in Japan referred to as Nuclear Holocaust ....but I get where your thinking.  I am not sure where you get the idea that the name would put off the general public but as i have said your views are fascinating and very useful..my aim is to teach people about the period, not to put people off with the wrong name...