Lucas ammeter restoration / repair.

Ian L

The only guy I've found who can repair these is Peter Bond in London. 0208 289 9031 mob 07780 908833. From memory the last one I had done by him cost getting on for 100 quid though. Worth a call though. It's a model CZ27. Ron

It looks very similar to the one on my B40 when that was playing up There was a selection available on a well known internet site from ones made abroad to English ones it depends on how original you need it to be..

Simon

Has the solder melted inside the instrument ?

CZ27%20reverse_zpsmfcxmcmz.jpg

There isn't much inside them so it's certainly worth prising open the tags on the bezel and having a look.

CZ27%20inside_zpshufzzjgh.jpg

Although a 'repair' may not be possible, you have a very nice dial and early pattern bezel. It may well be possible to combine with the best parts from a later +/- (rather than 8-0-8) dial or from an ammeter that has been damaged.

It looks very similar to the one on my B40 when that was playing up There was a selection available on a well known internet site from ones made abroad to English ones it depends on how original you need it to be..

Simon

It has to be original, I'm aware of the repos but I wont fit one. cheers

Has the solder melted inside the instrument ?

CZ27%20reverse_zpsmfcxmcmz.jpg

There isn't much inside them so it's certainly worth prising open the tags on the bezel and having a look.

CZ27%20inside_zpshufzzjgh.jpg

Although a 'repair' may not be possible, you have a very nice dial and early pattern bezel. It may well be possible to combine with the best parts from a later +/- (rather than 8-0-8) dial or from an ammeter that has been damaged.

I'll have a go at taking it apart & repairing but I really wanted the face reprinted too as its marked by the needle.

Well I was a bit disappointed with the new face that Peter fitted to mine. It was just a nicely printed sticker, but he hadn't cut the kidney shaped hole for the needle very successfully. Then the sticker started to lift. Eventually I found a scrap ammeter with a decent face and swapped it over. Ultimately I'd rather have a slightly scratched face. Ron

CO 052.jpg

• 6 years later...
On 10/25/2016 at 10:58 AM, Ron said:

Well I was a bit disappointed with the new face that Peter fitted to mine. It was just a nicely printed sticker, but he hadn't cut the kidney shaped hole for the needle very successfully. Then the sticker started to lift. Eventually I found a scrap ammeter with a decent face and swapped it over. Ultimately I'd rather have a slightly scratched face. Ron

CO 052.jpg

Edited by RHT45
A familiar sight as I have a 1945 WD M20, acquired from a friend 5 years ago, when it hadn't run for 25 years. Now much improved mechanically and electrically , but unrestored, so very "patinated"!