Propshaft to identify

Degsy

Question

Recently acquired propshaft, described by previous owner as off a 1940's jeep!!! Anybody recognise it, couldn't mic it as my tools are in work but approximate dimensions are Length 54",compressed 52", Diameter 2.25", Flange diameter 3.375", Bolt centres 2.625", leather gaiters each end covering splines which are slightly damaged but otherwise it is in good condition , only requiring a coat of paint.

propshaft 1.jpg

propshaft 2.jpg

propshaft 3.jpg

Edited by Degsy

7 answers to this question

Evening Degsy . that's one of those that you either know or don't.

Chrysler corporation light duty three speed propshaft. Found on the 1939-47 half ton 4 x 2 Dodge light truck ( pickup, Carryall, van ... ) also on a lot of the contemporary cars, Dodge, Plymouth.

E-Bay for that Degsy. There are relatively few people on here that would have anything that would fit, but an E0Bay ad for a generic Chrysler / Dodge / Plymouth light duty propshaft, car or light truck, 39-45 would be more likely to find a taker.

Be sure to quote an exact length. Most of the Dodge and Plymouth truck stuff was 116", 120", or 133" wheelbase, with 116" being by far the most common ( half ton ) No idea on car wheelbases though.

G'morning Gordon:coffee:, thank you, strangely enough I know a guy with a pick up, may be a spare for him. The length I quoted is accurate so now I know the range of vehicles the other measurements are not so important but I can easily mic them anyway. Thanks again.

If it's a half ton 4 x 2, 39 - 47, it'll probably do, they were by far the most common.

That shaft was primarily used on three speed transmissions, TC, VC, and WC civilian trucks, but also TD and VD one ton civilians too, in both 120" and 133" wheelbase - but NOT the WD trucks.

Thanks Gordon, seen the previous owner today, if he can be believed he now says it was removed from a 1940's Willys Overland car and I have acquired a pair of good condition brake drums supposedly off the same vehicle. Claims he said they were off a jeep because he thought the car and a jeep shared the same parts!!! It is known that he has restored several vehicles but what make(s) they are I have yet to discover. I will keep you posted on any further developments. I assume that the prop is a standard item used by manufacturers other than the Chrysler Corp presumably along with gearboxes and axles.