Cable ties

simon king

Question

19 answers to this question

If you are thinking into a hard surface like brick, we still use a metal clip which wraps around the wire and held by a screw into a rawplug.

I have seen metal clips holding them to a wire tray in the war cabinet rooms at white hall.

What are you looking at for the element which is holding the wires

If you are thinking into a hard surface like brick, we still use a metal clip which wraps around the wire and held by a screw into a rawplug.

I have seen metal clips holding them to a wire tray in the war cabinet rooms at white hall.

What are you looking at for the element which is holding the wires

In the back of the Bedford MWR there is an interior light fed by a 2 pin plug on the back of the cab. The wire then tracks up the framework supporting the canvas tilt to a standard Lucas interior light in the centre of the roof. Just wondering the correct way to attach the wire to the framework.

(Edit)

thanks Clive I've always assumed that type was just for electrical installations with lead sheathed cable in the house but certainly a possibility

Edited by simon king

What was used before plastic cable ties were invented

In the 1940s, how would the cable for an interior light be attached to a tilt frame as part of a factory fit?

one of those things you never think about until you have to

thanks

Brass or aluminium buckle clips on vehicles were the norm. I still use these on restorations to give the period look.

For motorcycles as Ferg points out, the John Bull rubber ties were used right up until the 70's on British motorcycles.

Thanks all - Your advice is much appreciated -

I see that AES do brass buckle ties so I will get some of those as well as the rubber type. Always useful to have both types available, particularly for when the radio is installed.

I've used p-clips and chassis clips often but just didn't have a clue how to secure the wire to the tilt frame. Electrical tape didnt feel right.

I should add regards those rubber motorcycle cable ties, the quality of "rubber" seems to vary (as it does with most repro rubber bits, in my experience) and I have had batches that are like soft cheese! Also, where their application is important, I use a modern nylon ziplock tie underneath the rubber one!

Lacing was certainly the preferred solution for BT/GPO things - at least internal to equipment until about the time I started in the '80s - likewise internally to the Clansman equipment

We used to use it for everything internal at Piccadilly Radio in the 1980s. The Neve mixing desks were full of it.

Andy

I remember a form of perforated black plastic strip which was used with a sort of rivet to bundle cables together. Pop the rivet through the first hole in the strip, wrap the strip round the bundle of cables and pull tight, push the tightest possible hole over the end of the rivet and cut off. We had some lying around in a theatre I worked in in the 70's never really used it, but wish I had some now as its what was used to loom the cables in the back of the K9.

Yes I know exactly what you mean, it is very 50s-60s. It was used in my cipher office & Shorland. There were at least two sizes, it could the screwed/riveted to a surface or could be used free standing to bunch cables with small plastic studs.

I had a lot of reels of both sizes. When I downsized this year, nobody seemed interested in it so it got chucked. But I should have a reel of each size that I saved, so when I find them I could spare some bits for you.

I am sure I have a reel of the two sizes & the matching studs, as I would have held a bit back for the Shorland. I did have several dozen reels as I got them from a scrapyard who only processed metal & anything plastic was a nuisance & given away. I hung on to that lot for years, but as I say with no interest when selling off my excess stuff the majority was chucked away :cry: