Excelsior Consort 1957

Graham

In the Classic Military Vehicle magazine, for the past few issues, an Excelsior Consort 1957 motorbike has been advertised for sale. It is painted in army colours with a hooded headlight. I have nothing against people painting their bikes any colour they want and making them look like 'military' vehicles, I have done the same myself, so I was just wondering if there was a genuine version used by the military in the 1950s? I know small engined lightweight bikes were issued to the paras during WW2, but also after the war?

I am genuinely interested without making any criticism, indeed I am building a similar bike at the moment albeit with a Villiers 8E engine.

Any comments, any one?

I don't think so Graham, in fact, a few thousand James ML's, Flying Fleas and Welbike,s from the last contracts were cancelled for military use at the end of the war. In the 50's the new bikes taken on for the forces were Triumph's TRW and the BSA B40.

Nothing carved in stone of course and somewhere a small bike could have ended up as a run around on a base or camp......But there would be no need for a blackout mask in 57. ( I haven't seen the advert) Ron

Ahhh, the wonderful Excelsior Consort, my first motorcycle at the age of 13, 98 thundering cc 2 speeds, slow and even slower, girder forks and solid back end, but definitely not military. The standard paint n mine was light green although I have seen them in black as well. The James Comet was very similar, but I don't think that they were used by the military either.

As children we had a family exclusion consort that I rode on the back of with my brother and sister and then about eight I started riding . A cracking bike 98cc fitted with a villagers 6f engine. I kept the bike and rebuilt it for my kids who wore it out and it sits in the garage awaiting the next generation .

Mine was a dark green with red piping and in my many childhood adventures was an army bike..

Unfortunately consorts were never.used by the military but I saw the advertised bike and thought the militarization looked great . I did consider the same when my kids were young and do regret not doing it.

I have a Triumph 3sw but recognise that military bike scarcity ,price and reliability can be barriers and fully support the militarization of bikes for fun ..I have seen harley and triumph release homages to ww2 bikes and think it's great.

Jenkinov

I am glad I posted this item. It has brought back memories of early family rides on the 'mighty' Excelsior Consort. I also like the idea that we can dress up more modern bikes as pseudo-military machines like my WD/C replica sidecar outfit and it is another excuse to post a picture of it !

Re sidecar project 003.jpg