Reforming Cover

Surveyor

Question

I am still trying to get a hang of this restoration.

The cover on my trailer has been bent out and is in a curve, its 6mm thick, I am wondering if I put it in a vice and hammer it will it straiten out, I recall once when I needed to straiten a bicycle wheel that it wasn't sufficiently bent to sort, had to buy a new wheel.

Can any one advise

Apologies for the picture

WP_20161020_08_14_52_Pro.jpg

12 answers to this question

Not too sure what your photo is showing there ?

how distorted is the fixing and more importantly what should it look like ?

At 6mm thick just a bit out of shape and it will tap back straight an anvil is better than a vice but a vice will do the job as long as it's large enough and securely fixed to the bench. More than a bit out of shape and you'll need to heat it up and before you try to straighten it.

Pete

Pete

The metal is supposed to be parallel to the square, its slightly curved as well, reason for picking a vice is the rest of the shape, picture of the complete piece attached, suppose and this is my ignorance what to protect the metal so the hammer marks wont show

DSC00090.jpg

One of the realities of hitting things is that if you use a small hammer you will make dents in the surface but not bend the piece much but if you use a big hammer with the same amount of effort, you will do less surface damage but bend the piece much more. I have a small sledge hammer (about 5lb I think) with a short handle which is ideal for this kind of job. You can protect the surface with a piece of wood which will probably protect the paint too if you don't need to correct the shape too much. I also have a couple of pieces of aluminium angle that I use to protect things from damage from the vice jaws but anything tough enough but softer than the steel bracket will do. If you would like to use an anvil but don't have one, a big hardwood log can often do the job of being a heavy thing to hit against.

The main thing is to think exactly where you need to bend or straighten the piece and so where it needs to be supported and exactly where you will need to hit it. It just takes practice, it's not magic !

Hope this helps, good luck

David

The bracket is a bit too big really for working in a vice, but it will come back cold with a good sized hammer as Dave has suggested, don't keep hitting it with a light hammer all that will happen is that the hammer will bounce off and you will bruise the surface of the metal, use something with some weight in a controlled manner couple of taps then check it for true and adjust as necessary don't just give it an almighty smack :shocked:

Let us know how you got on

Pete

Gents

many thanks for the advice my local garage has offered the use of a mechanics vice, I do have the drawing from the manufacturer.

I intend to look at this latter in the year when I can take the trailer down, towing vehicle temporarily out of action, to bend and try before leaving, do have a heavy hammer think its about 5lb in weight also a sledge hammer.

When I get around to it will advise

Richard

Pete

one garage I use does not but I have a friend who is teaching me mechanics may have.

Yes 50 odd years old and learning how to look after an old engine

Richard

None of us are ever too old to learn Richard, the key is doing what you've just done......... ask questions :thumbsup:.

Pete

Gents

Was down at the garage first thing this morning with out the trailer, put tit in a vice pulled slightly, checked with a square now 90 degrees as the drawing shows, the thing fits.

There is a little bit of a fiddle but that's how they were on the ones in the factory, just a slight tweak on the part under the piston and it should be perfect

WP_20160930_15_16_47_Pro.jpg