"peep"?

Rlangham

Have a few photocopied pages for the Royal Engineers pamphlet about Assault Crossing Equipment (looking forward to getting my hands on a proper repro copy at W&P), and for the storm boats, which carried a Jeep or 6 pounder, it has a section entitled 'Loading and unloading peeps'

My question is, what is a peep? Is this what Jeeps were called in official army booklets? It's not just a spelling mistake as it mentions it more than once, and always with the first letter in lower case, for example "...it will carry a 6 or 2-pdr anti-tank gun and crew excluding ammunition, or a peep."

So, does this mean a Jeep, which I presume it does, and if so, why is it called a peep?

Hi,

the term`peep` was as far as i know given to early (production ??) jeeps one of these vehicles was the `radio` style speedo/ oil,temp gauges. there was one locally buried under a tarpaulin for years and i belive it was sold and restored.......... but apparently the last two owners who have owned and restored the vehicle have met with serious accidents in the vehicle :schocked: but can`t verify this.

Ashley

• 2 months later...

Welcome from America. The term "peep" refers to a jeep in the service of an Armored Division. Why? No one knows, its just what they called them.

Hi Rob,

welcome to the Forum, maybe you could introduce yourself using this link...

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&board=19.0

Cheers

Lee

The term Jeep (I said the word!) is alleged to have come from the Popeye cartoon. He has a funny little pet thing called Jeep' that is neither fish nor fowl, but knew and could do most anything'. Dodges were called by the press BEEPS, supposedly Beefed up or BIG jeeps. :dunno: In practice the terms were Jeep and Dodges as Jeep and Beep are to easy to confuse, especially over radio or telephone.

British army data book of wheeled transport 1939/45 describes the Jeep as Car light reconnaissance 4x4 5cwt then has in brackets, Jeep Peep and Blitz Buggy. Never heard the last before.

According to Bart, 'In British and Canadian armys,they (jeep)were designated "Car, 5cwt, 4x4." Early popular names included 'Peep', and 'Blitz Buggy'.

British army data book of wheeled transport 1939/45 describes the Jeep as Car light reconnaissance 4x4 5cwt then has in brackets, Jeep Peep and Blitz Buggy. Never heard the last before.

Hi,

i believe the term `blitz buggy` was used by US troop stationed here (UK) referring to the Blitz which was on at the time (makes sense??)