Classic Tyre dealer

Hi Team

I am contacting you from Longstone Tyres, I hope you have heard of us. I am hoping to be able to be helpful to anyone with tyre issues.

I am aware that it isn't cricket to come on a forum like this and just spam with commercial sales pitches. I believe it is fair to say i might sale close to the wind on this front. however on the majority of forums i post on people are keen to know about what is available to them and a helpful informative post is useful.

I won't b e underhanded and i will be honest.

Dougal

Try these for a close approximation of the 6.50x16 Goodyear Xtragrip for ex-MoD Land Rovers. They work out at about the same price as a new set of 7.50x16 Michelins: not cheap, but good enough.

http://www.northhantstyres.com/main-tyre-pages/sta-tyres/650-16-sta.html

10 68

Some people such as self , consider a 7.50x16 on a 88" as not a good idea on a Lightweight - enough said. A Lightweight is actually undertyred on potential max. payload / mass on 6.00x16 - hence the requirement of a good 6.50x16 at a realistic price. The 6.50Rx16 Michelin XCL was a radial option (as often fitted by the RAF to Lightweights - less so if at all by Army & RM)

Most 205R16 (other than the original Classic Range Rover tyres by Michelin and Pirelli) - the treadpath can be beyond the body-line (the tyres grew to the full 20580R16) and in any case with a Lightweight - you should be on a Reinf. or 'C' type.

With a tube type , there is the cost of a Michelin Air-stop (word is out don't use any other) , they add quite a few £. The best option IMHO - go tubeless type tyre on the later Defender (PUMA) safety bead rims , that are very passable as originals.

The choice(s) in total - very little going ,,

Scroll down :-

http://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14558&p=107545&hilit=6.50x16#p107545

What i have currently are 2 Military sizes that bought in from the States in a container full of other classic tyres. They are very good value

600X16 Bar grip Jeep tyres http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/600x16-speedway-ndt.html

&

700X16 NDT Jeep tyres http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/700x16-speedway-ndt.html

I don't normally get involved with military tyres, but there was some space left in my container

Some people such as self , consider a 7.50x16 on a 88" as not a good idea on a Lightweight - enough said. A Lightweight is actually undertyred on potential max. payload / mass on 6.00x16 - hence the requirement of a good 6.50x16 at a realistic price.

The choice(s) in total - very little going ,,

The 7.50x16 was standard fit on many Lightweights used by foreign armed forces, so one must presume Solihull had no issue with them. But, the British Armed Forces preferred 6.50x16. And that is why I offered the link to the tyres from Northants Tyres. As I say, they aren't cheap, but they are reasonabl and who wants to drive on roads on cheap tyres anyway, particularly in a vehicle with a heavy chassis and old-fashioned safety features, to say nothing of the old-fashioned handling?

They work out at about the same price as the 7.50x16 Michelins which many Lightweight owners fit, so they are a realistic alternative for those, like you, who prefer 6.50x16 and are looking for a tyre which closely resembles the Goodyear Xtragrip which, nowadays, is available only in the Far East, I understand.

10 68

The Dutch used all sorts of tyres , inc. 7.00 + 7.50's on 5.50 rims - but they were diesel engines , they had lots of troubles too - probably in the main due to their economy on specified material for 1/2 shafts. The Danish diesel Lightweights had 7.50's , photographs show on 5.00 rims too. To me the only advantage of 7.50's is offroad with the extra 1" under the diff , the British Army never forn a need for that extra 1". There is a demand for open-tread 6.50x16 out there - just needs somebody to fill the gap at the right price according to rubber quality..

The STA Traxion 'Vintage' IMHO is the only new x'ply suitable , however at £133 + VAT + tube - far too expensive.

LASSA (manuf. Turkey inc. for military and OEM for Otokar built LR's) if only they manufactured the OK-144 in 6.50" - then it would half that price ,check their 6.00 & 7.50 - not top $ at all.

I have some LASSA OK-144 , they look the part on a 88" , very quiet in comparison to a Hi-Miller Extragrip , at normal speeds better in the wet and on snow. I was never too impressed with the Extragrips in most snow - just chopped it up !

A suitable Jeep type 7.00x16 IMHO would be better than a 7.50 and you would not need to change the speedo.

I rather like the Longstone NDT in 7.00 (not checked the ratings) and at £84 inc. INC. VAT - a good price .

The last time I checked - the Michelin XCL 6.50x16 was still available for the USA market , can't offhand think of any alternative 6.50 radial ,,

In 205R16 , after the original Mich. RR tyres - I went over to Vredestein and Semperit snow tyres 25 years ago , intended for the early Merc. G Wagen - I don't think there is anything similar now , more van tyre tread.