Centurions from scrapyard

eddy8men

cent2.jpghi fella's

back in april a forum member posted up about 2 centurions in a scrapyard in ulverston, i replied to his post and said i hoped someone saved them from the cutting torch, well that someone turned out to be me and i take delivery of them next friday. i went up and had a quick shufti round them last week and was impressed by the condition of the painted one. i hope to find a turret and get at least one of them back as a gun tank.

few pics of them lifted from the other thread

FB_IMG_1459713704271.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vickers is probably a good bet.

Definitely look like trials vehicles of some form. Vaguely remember a picture of a range test mount/ vehicle somewhere for the 120mm main gun of Chieftain/Challenger.

Given Vickers had their own MBT design very possibly test vehicles to support the engineering of these? Was MBT production at Barrow?

Whoever has done the design has obviously thought it through and gone to some efforts with the conversion (Note - drivers hatch has been removed).

Good luck with the move

they were owned by qinetiq and used at eskmeals to test various barrels and ammo. they might have been on other ranges as well during their time. the painted one runs and drives or at least that's what i was told. the other is much tattier and might be used as the parts donor for the good one if the need arises. got to find a turret now :cool2:

FB_IMG_1459768537926.jpg

140.jpg

Edited by eddy8men

after tackling wartime kit these look like a walk in the park :-D

john there's a guy near ulverston doing it for £70/hour so going to be £800 or so for the pair. i can't help but laugh at my misfortune, after 6 years i finally buy a truck big enough to move the cromwell then end up selling the tank the same month. i bought a 38 ton low loader a week ago on monday and decide to buy the cents on the wednesday which would be great if it could carry them. lol i'm destined to give my money to the uk haulage industry

Edited by eddy8men

after tackling wartime kit these look like a walk in the park :-D

john there's a guy near ulverston doing it for £70/hour so going to be £800 or so for the pair. i can't help but laugh at my misfortune, after 6 years i finally buy a truck big enough to move the cromwell then end up selling it the same month. i bought a 38 ton low loader a week ago on monday and decide to buy the cents on the wednesday which would be great if it could carry them. lol i'm destined to give my money to the uk haulage industry

Can he get both on one load if your paying by the hour !