I got into a bidding war once - until I realised the other bidder was in fact the auctioneer running me up :mad:

I once had an honest Auctioneer say ' That's allright Sir. I have just accepted a bid from your Wife' she couldn't see me and knew I wanted that lot!:-D

(Cheffins by the way)

I got into a bidding war once - until I realised the other bidder was in fact the auctioneer running me up :mad:

I once had an honest Auctioneer say ' That's allright Sir. I have just accepted a bid from your Wife' she couldn't see me and knew I wanted that lot!:-D

(Cheffins by the way)

Yes, they do have a sense of humour on occasion at Sutton!

Someone has removed an advert from the Car & Classic website. They had advertised a 1945 airborne Cushman at £13,500 on 18th September.

I can imagine that anyone who sold one in August is probably now lying in a darkened room banging their head on the floor.

Someone has removed an advert from the Car & Classic website. They had advertised a 1945 airborne Cushman at £13,500 on 18th September.

I can imagine that anyone who sold one in August is probably now lying in a darkened room banging their head on the floor.

The advert was still on Milweb today

One thing I hate about auctions is you never quite know what's going on.

I must admit I've never quite understood the people who bid in winks, tics and minimalist signals - it seems to me such behaviour enables shill bidding.

One thing I hate about auctions is you never quite know what's going on.

I must admit I've never quite understood the people who bid in winks, tics and minimalist signals - it seems to me such behaviour enables shill bidding.

The auctioneers and large buyers/dealers don't want you to know what's going on. To be a successful buyer you need to attend auctions regularly just to watch in order to understand the way things are manipulated before attending as a buyer.

The auctioneers and large buyers/dealers don't want you to know what's going on. To be a successful buyer you need to attend auctions regularly just to watch in order to understand the way things are manipulated before attending as a buyer.

Yes, absolutely; I've seen some things in my 20+ years as - I think - a successful buyer. What does baffle me, though, is how often bidders play into the hands of corrupt practice, and how often auctioneers collude with practices that actually cost them money.

Edited by Sean N

Yes, absolutely; I've seen some things in my 20+ years as - I think - a successful buyer. What does baffle me, though, is how often bidders play into the hands of corrupt practice, and how often auctioneers collude with practices that actually cost them money.

In the long run I don't think it does cost them money, they are desperate to keep their regular buyers and will bend over backwards to ensure those people are looked after and remember there is always the brown envelope.

The whole subject of that Pz IV seems to have fallen into a black hole.

WHAT HAPPENED IN THE END?????

Regards

Doug

The Littlefield auction -- and I suspect all similar, media-hyped auctions -- had a lot of bidders who are well off, bored with normal toys (sports cars, boats, motorcycles), and are not the typical military vehicle collector aspiring to buy their next piece. These guys can buy another Ferrari, but why bother. For the man that has everything in life, a tank is the last frontier. World War II provenance and bragging rights just make the deal all the better. At the next party, the buyer will casually mention that they own a Sherman (or whatever) that liberated Paris. Who's to know better?

One exception (sort of) to the above was Paul Allen's attempted purchase of Panzer IV at Littlefield auction. Allen is an armor collector, and he's a man that has everything (co-founded Microsoft). As many know, he bid $2.5MM, wired the money, but didn't get the tank. He wound up filing a lawsuit, in typical American fashion. http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-paul-allen-panzer-20140912-story.html

Bottom line, auction prices seem to eclipse rational boundaries.