Jaguar j60 engine (recon)

diesel1

Im putting a A1 reconditioned engine in the sabre at the weekend, ive collected the recon engine from withams today.

It states that the engine has been internally preserved, is there anything i need to do because of this? or do i just put oil in and start?

Regard Andrew

Andrew "Internal Preservation" means it has undergone the processes laid down in EMER WORKSHOPS N 111 Chapter 2 Section 6. This really means everything inside was lavishly covered with PX-4, other than the coolant channels that were treated with Water Displacing Fluid PX-10.

Depreservation & Commissioning is covered in EMER WORKSHOPS N 121 Sections 6 - 9. I'll endeavour to scan those pages tonight.

I have been reading this with interest as I have posted the same question a few years ago but did not get the benefit of your knowledge Clive, thank you for posting these details.

Your instructions are generalised and obviously cover petrol and diesel engines as we can see.

Recently, friends installed a B80 engine and upon starting it found that it wanted to over heat.

A subsequent tear down of the coolant system revealed a some crystal like material lodge in the thermostat which stopped it closing and caused the overheat, it is thought.

I was looking at your instructions for any reference to such a crystal material and what the flushing should have been, but there is no reference to it.

Any thoughts?

Im putting a A1 reconditioned engine in the sabre at the weekend, ive collected the recon engine from withams today.

It states that the engine has been internally preserved, is there anything i need to do because of this? or do i just put oil in and start?

Regard Andrew

Andrew, I'm curious what Withams is selling the J60's for. Are they auctioning them off or doing negotiated sales?