A century of Tanks

Caddy

its such a difficult question, by way of tanks it has to be the T34, simple effective and way ahead of anything else on the battle field at the time, ultimate tank, toss up between challenger 2 and leopard 2, best APC, now that is difficult, 432 classic easy to drive fast enough and strong enough, ot90 and BMP fantastic machines plenty of power and go like stink...not the best protection in the world, and I could go on and on, JCB 360 great machine, take your pick on size...i have js130 superb machine has been working for me nearly every day of its 10 years or so with me...she is getting old now and ready for a new one, will likely go for a slightly bigger one next time.

I have to admit that I have an absolute love of the Centurion. I love it's design and the fact that it evolved so much.

I can't quite say that I have loved working on it as much as Chieftain. Changing a fuel pump on the Meteor was frankly an exercise in pure muscle fatigue as getting the back nut on was nigh on impossible.

I still think that it is the best Tank.

I do have a soft spot for Chieftain as well. After working on it I think it was a great leap forward from Centurion, and I know that Mike Hayton really rates it. It's also so much easier to work on with the engine pack design.

I'd like to add that I've only worked on them in a museum setting so not reflective of when they were in service, so maybe not the best way to compare them.

I will say that I don't like the Russian stuff as I am completely the wrong shape for them

That I am, but I've hardly been there this year - been difficult to find 30min to myself with a 9 month old let alone a whole day!

know how you feel. I would like to get there more often, and maybe get one or two of the old aircraft at my museum one day. but they would have to be transported or flown to lasham for dismantling and reassembling here, lasham is only 3 miles or so away...

hoping to have a jaguar and a Harrier at the museum on the open day...

sorry for going off topic guys...

Hardly a popular thread so I'm not really bothered, quite enjoy going off at a tangent from time to time.

How's the Chieftain coming along?

If the steering brakes need a rebuild Past Parts can get all the seals and the pistons comparable with mineral oil. Master Cylinders are from a jag so still available.

ROlfe my new man starts this month. priority 1 for the museum is the cheiftain looking at least reasonable, so that is going to progress. my machine seems to have spent most of its time doing nothing as apart from rust everything looks not too bad. Its just the boxes I need, the front two off side and and maybe a new long one at the back if we cannot restore the current bent one.

thats interesting to know re the parts...

• 2 weeks later...

Since the question is about the best tracked vehicle, rather than the best tank, I feel I can safely and justifiably say CVRT of course!

Coming up to 50 years in service, and highly likely to make it to 60 years. Think about it - that would be like using a Sherman in 2003!