Bedford QL engine

johann morris

There is a difference in the cylinder block of a QL from all the other models fitted with the 28hp. So if you are looking for one for an OY, MW, etc, then a QL engine is not suitable and vice versa.

Never knew that Richard, so for future reference what's the difference ?

Pete

Never knew that Richard, so for future reference what's the difference ?

Pete

Its to do with the oil pick up screen. The standard 28hp has a plate just forward of the distributor to access the screen filter. The QL has to have a different sump with a well at the front end to clear the axle, so screen on that one is fitted to bottom of oil pump. An access plate in base of sump allows cleaning. The QL block is not machined for the filter screen.

Richard

Its to do with the oil pick up screen. The standard 28hp has a plate just forward of the distributor to access the screen filter. The QL has to have a different sump with a well at the front end to clear the axle, so screen on that one is fitted to bottom of oil pump. An access plate in base of sump allows cleaning. The QL block is not machined for the filter screen.

Richard

Thanks for that nugget Richard stored away in case it may come in handy one day ;)

Pete

Richard

Hi Richard.

Just to be different I have a QL engine with QL engine number that is machined for the OY type filter screen.

IMG_20160924_151304.jpg

The second picture shows a unmachined QL engine.

Peter.

IMG_20160924_151341.jpg

Hi Richard.

Just to be different I have a QL engine with QL engine number that is machined for the OY type filter screen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118975[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]118976[/ATTACH]

Peter.

Just when you think you know all the answers someone proves otherwise, I'll look at our QL and OY engines and the spare ones we have

Just when you think you know all the answers someone proves otherwise, I'll look at our QL and OY engines and the spare ones we have

OK, to muddy the waters even further ...... I recently rebuilt an engine out of a QL, the block was not machined for the filter. So it was made specifically for a QL. Main bearing was different in the thrust location, no flanged shell as block was machined for the commonly used half round thrusts, one with a tag, other plain. Also big end diameter was smaller. Casting date on block put it at mid-1950's, 10 years after the last QL was built.

The engine was in fact the Extra Duty type that was introduced to civilian models in early 1950's. As it was still on standard bores and going on other things, I deduce this was a new engine produced by Bedford for the Ministry of Supply under contract and they used the latest version of the 28hp. Around the same time a friend was rebuilding a MW engine (it had MW prefix on its number) and asked me why it had separate thrust rings, so not an uncommon occurrence. With all the rebuilding of WW2 vehicles going on at the time with the army, parts were still being produced to keep them running.

Oh, and reason the big end diameter was smaller was that the bearing shell materials were improved.

cheers Richard

Hi Richard.

Peter.

Peter,

I would guess that at one of the army workshops rebuilding engines, they have had to replace a cylinder block with a new one and have used a non-QL block, hence why the engine number is prefixed QL. This was common practice, as a given number of engine were sent for repair and same number had to be returned.

Point I was making was that an un-machined block (QL) would not be suitable on other models of Bedfords with the shallow sumps (ie MW, OY, OX, etc.)

Peter,

I would guess that at one of the army workshops rebuilding engines, they have had to replace a cylinder block with a new one and have used a non-QL block, hence why the engine number is prefixed QL. This was common practice, as a given number of engine were sent for repair and same number had to be returned.

Point I was making was that an un-machined block (QL) would not be suitable on other models of Bedfords with the shallow sumps (ie MW, OY, OX, etc.)

Thanks for the answer. I have asked several people but never had an answer that made seance.

Peter.