Bedford MJ running hot

trapper

Just a quick question but my MJ is just on the road (at last) and she shows the top of the temperature gauge once she's warmed up. Nothing feels wrong, nothing smells hot, she drives fine and the heater works fine and doesn't seem to be excessively hot. Does anyone have any experience either if the MJ running hot or would I be safe to assume that the temperature gauge or sender unit might be gubbed? Is there any double check I can make to confirm the coolant temperature?

For my MJ,I bought a digital temp gauge off e bay for £3.99 (actually an aquarium temp gauge) it goes up to 120 deg C

Drilled a tiny hole in a hose and pushed the probe in.It was Araldite'd and left in....was absolutely brill. I always had piece of mind on the temp.

Having now taken it out for longer and longer trips with regular stops and checking it all over it would appear that none of the gauges can be trusted but the MJ runs perfectly well. I feel a whole range of modifications to the engine telemetrics coming on!