Supporting Charities

Surveyor

Question

10 answers to this question

Be careful of which charities you support - RBL and the poppy campaign are awesome, and I'd support them in a heartbeat, but there are some charities that aren't necessarily as nice.

One of my friends found this out the hard way when her family was involved in the Sri-Lanka tsunami, so now I tend to be *very* careful which charities I support. Anything with a political or religious connection needs very careful inspection, as you don't want to support the sort of selective aid that refuses to help and says "we'll only help you if you join our club / convert" when people are at their lowest possible moment.

Be careful of which charities you support - RBL and the poppy campaign are awesome, and I'd support them in a heartbeat, but there are some charities that aren't necessarily as nice.

One of my friends found this out the hard way when her family was involved in the Sri-Lanka tsunami, so now I tend to be *very* careful which charities I support. Anything with a political or religious connection needs very careful inspection, as you don't want to support the sort of selective aid that refuses to help and says "we'll only help you if you join our club / convert" when people are at their lowest possible moment.

Thanks for the heads up, however was thinking of those that support our lads and lassies as its a military vehicle

Normally there is three of us 'old codgers' together and we support the RBL and the RNLI with vehicles whenever possible.

We used to support Help for Heroes but never again, I won't go into details for legal reasons,suffice to say organisation left a lot to be desired (putting it politely), we were badly treated and there were financial issues we were not happy about.

I have used various Ferret Scout Cars, in Fund Raising Events for the RBL. In whatever towns I was living in at the time.

I have found that as the years go by, it becomes increasingly harder to extract yourself. From more & more 'Regulations' that seem to pop up from nowhere these Days!.......

Funny how we managed to VERY successfully execute Fund raising displays. Between Myself & the RBL branch concerned. In the Town I was living in at that time.

And then!..........Slooooowly....Risk Assessments, MUST have public Liability Cover for up to 1 Million Pounds! Cannot Play Military Music without a Licence Publicly! (We used to play LOUD military Band Music, to catch passers by attention. & they would wander over to see what it was all about. & we would 'Capture' a donation!)

Parking Exemption Licence for the day concerned. No Fires (Used to use a small gas cooker for Brews to keep us warm) The list went on & on. :shocked:

Until I finally got fed up with all the Rubbish, & stopped offering my Services. The Branch understood & were mutually miffed, as it was THEY who were missing out. on the (At Times) Vast amount of funds that used be forthcoming. due to the displays that were VERY Popular with the Public!....:cry: