Tips for driving a CVRT on sand...

BRDM Driver

Any tips for driving a CVRT on sand?

Sand in the Gulf seemed to cause regular track shedding fro what I've read.

Presumably beach sand might be more forgiving than bone dry desert sand.

I think neutral and tight turns might be out, to avoid collecting too much sand between the wheels and spuds.

Any other advice welcome!

If you intend to go off road you know about the recovery exclusion clause with Cherished vehicles?

Diana

I think neutral and tight turns might be out, to avoid collecting too much sand between the wheels and spuds.

Perhaps paying attention to adjusting and maintaining the correct track tension/correct number of links would be helpful? Certainly no 'hard stick' turns!

Perhaps paying attention to adjusting and maintaining the correct track tension/correct number of links would be helpful? Certainly no 'hard stick' turns!

Yes, I have set the track tension. I'll probably have someone keep an eye our for any build up of sand when maneuvering.

Thanks.

As someone who works in a quarry surrounded by tracked vehicles in sand and gravel, as has already been said do not make tight turns, little and often to avoid sand packing between the wheels and throwing a track.

I learnt this the hard way with my first FV432, the rear idler hub literally exploded doing a hard turn in deep soft sand throwing the track and bending the stub axle. That was a long and expensive day!

Also, while correct track tension is important, do not run your tracks too tight! Damp sand especially can pack solid between sprockets and idlers effectively increasing their diameter and stretching the track until something goes bang. I've seen final drives on excavators destroyed in this way.

James

Not sure if this applies to CVRTs but it does to dozers, only drive straight up and down slopes, driving along them it's easy to drive out of the loose set tracks when they fill with sand/gravel from the low side.

Usually happens on the beach with the tide coming in, fitters nightmare, we all hated those calls!

Make turns like a 50p with regular stabs on the steering is what I've been told by a friend who shed a track at an agricultural show. He was driving on loose dirt (the advice was given retrospectively to him!)

Vince

A certain Mr Moss I seem to remember - funny how the advice always comes AFTER the event - if I remember rightly someone else asked 'is it supposed to do that'!!!!

Tim

Mission accomplished!

weymouth beach.jpg

We had to demolish a 25 tonne sandcastle on Weymouth beach today. (As you do...)

This was for CBBC Absolute Genius with Dick & Dom...

We decided to avoid a head on with it (it was over 2 metres high and about a metre thick) and opted for taking out the corners!

It was a bit spooky driving with hatch down and having the vehicle tilt up on one side as it rode over the sand castle.

No track issues fortunately and a hassle free 20 mile run to get there and back too...

The main issue was getting my face sandblasted on the way home!

Thanks for the hints and tips!

• 2 months later...