WW1 Peerless lorry restoration

Great War truck

All the Brake Band Linings have now been received, cut to size and radiused and ready to fit. On the previous lorries on which we fitted new linings, the linings were rivetted directly to the Shoes but this arrangement is slightly different from that where the linings are first of all rivetted to a 3/16" thick steel arc and then in turn the lining with the steel arc are held in place on the shoes with 3/8" Csk steel screws, slot nutted on the inside. Temporary nut and bolts will be used to hold the lining to the steel arc prior to final orthodox copper riveting of those two parts together..

DSCN0579.JPG

DSCN0580.JPG

DSCN0584.JPG

DSCN0585.JPG

• Like 2

Started on the Rear Brake linings. The steel "arc" which goes between the lining and the Brake Shoe is described in the Parts Book as the "Hub Brake Shoe Liner". Each of the linings is riveted to one of these and then later that riveted assembly will be bolted to its appropriate Brake Shoe with Csk Screws which are to be deeply countersunk in the lining.
The first step today was to line up the linings on the liners in their correct places - so that they can be drilled through and held temporarily in place with nuts and bolts. Those will be replaced individually, one at a time with countersunk copper lining rivets later.

DSCN0586.JPG

DSCN0589.JPG

• Like 3

A bit more progress over the weekend. The Peerless is fighting back again so we didn’t get as far forwards as we would have liked.

The first task was to put the back axle on, using the engine hoist to life it into position. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to fit and then we realised that there should be a mounting plate on top and rubber block underneath. Looking in the spare parts drawer Steve pulled out an axle with the remains of springs still attached. Taking an angle grinder to that he soon produced a very tired but serviceable pair which he now fitted to the axle. A few hours later on while rummaging in the spare parts box for something else Dad found a much better set which were cleaned up and fitted to the axle. This looks a lot better but we could not do the axle up tight as we required a deep socket which we did not have.

DSCN0599.JPG

DSCN0601.JPG

DSCN0602.JPG

DSCN0605.JPG

DSCN0615.JPG

DSCN0624.JPG

DSCN0637.JPG

DSCN0639.JPG

DSCN0640.JPG

DSCN0647.JPG

• Like 1

We need to get the rear wheels sorted and the pair we want to use are on the other Peerless so we had to swap them over with the metal wheels we have in stock. First task was to move all the stuff which was stored on and around the Peerless and tow it out into the open to make room. These wheels are very heavy and we used the engine hoist to secure them. The first one came off really easily which surprised us all and the metal wheel went on without any problem. The other side was a different story and after most of the day gone we had to give up and put the Peerless away again and Steve will come back with his hydraulic press and see if he can adapt that with a Jim Crow and see if that will make any difference.

DSCN0671.JPG

DSCN0680.JPG

DSCN0683.JPG

DSCN0685.JPG

DSCN0688.JPG

DSCN0690.JPG

DSCN0692.JPG

DSCN0698.JPG

DSCN0701.JPG

DSCN0705.JPG

• Like 3

Dad is always looking for things to do so Steve and I pulled the California rad out from the shed and looked it over. We knew it had been patched before so we had a look at that and the damage seemed worse than we remembered. We are undecided as to the best course of action so may swap over the top tank with the WD marked one that we have. The gills had taken a few knocks so we need to sort those out. We gave the rad a pressure wash and then parked that up for later on.   

DSCN0633.JPG

DSCN0636.JPG

IMG_5688.JPG

IMG_5689.JPG

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5691.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

IMG_5693.JPG

IMG_5695.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

• Like 1

The tyres on the one dismounted wooden wheel are shot so Steve cut it back to the metal band and then used an angle grinder to cut through that. The tyre just pings off and we parked that for disposal and the wheel for the next step of restoration.  

DSCN0715.JPG

DSCN0718.JPG

DSCN0723.JPG

DSCN0724.JPG

DSCN0733.JPG

DSCN0734.JPG

DSCN0735.JPG

DSCN0736.JPG

DSCN0737.JPG

DSCN0739.JPG

Edited by Great War truck
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dad was back on the Peerless today. The four Rear Hub Brake Linings have been riveted to their corresponding Brake Liners and these four sub assemblies are now ready to be attached to the Brake Shoes. They are to be attached with 5/16" csk screws which go right through the lining and liner and are nutted on the inner face of the shoe with slot nuts.

IMG_6694.JPG

IMG_6695.JPG

IMG_6696.JPG

IMG_6697.JPG

• Like 1

Guy, a forum member put me on to a recent auction in case there was anything there that caught my eye. Something most certainly did, four Peerless front wheels. I put in an on line bid and was delighted to see that i had won. 

I drove up yesterday to collect them and take them down to Devon. A round trip of about eleven hours but we are very pleased with them. Two wheels are in outstanding condition, while the other two are ok. Quite amazing that this stuff still turns up. 

IMG_20200728_122501.jpg

IMG_20200728_122515.jpg

IMG_20200728_122525.jpg

IMG_20200729_092648.jpg

IMG_20200729_092656.jpg

IMG_20200729_093352.jpg

IMG_20200729_094135.jpg

IMG_20200729_094144.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

With the Rear Wheel Brakes and linings now completed as far as we can go - short of hanging them, we now turn to the Transmission Brakes. These two Brake Drums are heavily corroded, pitted and grooved and we had those sand blasted some time ago. They need to be skimmed but there is not a lot of metal there and it looks unlikely
that we shall be able to turn off all the corroded parts. We may just settle for removing the roughest bits so that they do not tear the linings and leave them at that.
The Drums are 14" in diameter and 4" wide - they will just go into the gap on the Colchester Student but it will be very tight - the gap is also just 4"!
The first one has been set up on the face plate and a first cut taken.

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

3 hours ago, Scrunt & Farthing said:

What was the reason for splitting the brake drum do you think?

One possibility is to prevent cracking at the hub or spokes  due to the outside getting very hot with the inside cold. (in that it is pre-cracked in a controlled way) 

• Like 2

The drums are mounted on the half-shafts where they exit the gearbox. The assembly method is to hang the box in the chassis and then insert the half shafts through the sprocket bearings and into the differential. The drums go between the box and the chassis rail on each side. There isn't room to insert a key in the shaft and then push it through the drum so the drum is simply split and clamped over the key and to the shaft. It makes a good tight fit and makes dismantling very simple. It will become clearer when we have photographs of the assembly.

Steve  :)  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Gordon_M said:

I'm surprised you didn't fit the clamp half bolts through before machining, or was there just physically not rom to get them in there?

Good point but it would have been necessary to clamp against a mandrel exactly the same diameter as the half shaft.

2 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

Good point but it would have been necessary to clamp against a mandrel exactly the same diameter as the half shaft.

I see that Steve has already replied but I did not see that until I have just had a go as well - so I have deleted my reply! Pointless for two of us to tell you the same thing!

Edited by Minesweeper

25 minutes ago, Minesweeper said:

I see that Steve has already replied but I did not see that until I have just had a go as well - so I have deleted my reply! Pointless for two of us to tell you the same thing!

No problem, two different takes on it.  I'm wondering if that external surface could be plasma-sprayed up with some sort of deposit, but given the high speeds it is likely to seat retirement not much of an issue.

First Brake Drum cleaned up as far as possible. Hopefully the remaining roughness on it will not tear up the Brake Linings. The second drum almost completed as well but there is less metal in that one with no real provision other than to take off a gentle skim. End result should leave it no worse than this first one.

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG