WW1 Peerless lorry restoration

Great War truck

Spent more time trying to separate rusty bits - a miserable job and hard work.

In particular, looked for better Radiator brackets - one found which does have more metal surviving but it is quite poxy. This is the one on the right of three in the picture.

Also found one of the original pins which held Radiator to bracket and will serve as a pattern for new ones.

DSCN0120.JPG

DSCN0122.JPG

More time spent today on taking bits to pieces for assessment. This time - the "Radius Rods" which connect Jack Shaft to the Back Axle. We have 3 pairs and started with one pair that had already been taken off a lorry. The usual fight to get things apart and one of them had been dealt with previously by an over energetic disassembler who took a Hacksaw to it. A shame because that one looked to be in good condition. The remaining two pairs still have the brakes attached to them and will need more work. They are very dirty and very heavy and I look forward to that job!

DSCN0123.JPG

DSCN0124.JPG

DSCN0125.JPG

DSCN0126.JPG

DSCN0127.JPG

Yes, it could be pegged and welded. However, we have enough good ones in store so there is not a problem. We will keep the bits just in case.

The reason they were cut was to get the back axle off. The chain tensioning adjuster is a sleeve which rotates on this part but had completely seized. It has to be unscrewed to free the back axle rearwards  and then to slide this part outwards off the casting on the chassis rail. I gassed through a pair of these years ago when rescuing a chassis from a field. We only had a morning to get it cut up and removed so we sacrificed them to speed up the loading process. We still have to free those that we have and they are going to take some doing!

Steve

• Like 1

Whoever sawed them through did an amazingly neat and accurate job of it. If only he had cut through the rectangular section nearer the bearing and it would have been dead easy to weld them back together. At least you have choices of pieces to use.

David

Finished tidying up the bits from the first Radius Rod and then extracted the first of the second pair from the Stores Department. This one still has the Brake assembly with it - which is good news. Separated that from the Radius Rod and as the whole thing is so filthy, spent some time cleaning that up to make it just a bit nicer to handle. All these bits will go for sand blasting later. Interested to see that the part number was prefixed with "TC3" when we think of our lorry as a "TC4"

DSCN0128.JPG

DSCN0129.JPG

DSCN0130.JPG

DSCN0131.JPG

DSCN0132.JPG

DSCN0133.JPG

DSCN0136.JPG

DSCN0137.JPG

DSCN0138.JPG

DSCN0141.JPG

DSCN0143.JPG

DSCN0144.JPG

DSCN0147.JPG

DSCN0148.JPG

DSCN0149.JPG

DSCN0150.JPG

DSCN0153.JPG

DSCN0155.JPG

• Like 2

Finished stripping down the first Radius Rod from the 2nd set but not the brakes - they will follow tomorrow. Everything very filthy but pleasingly, the whole thing came apart more easily when compared with the last one. All the big parts put to one side for the moment and will be sand blasted when the second one from the second set is ready to go as well. Two castings arrived from the Foundry today via a Carrier for the two replacement pistons - the originals were broken (not by us!) - Steve will machine them when we can join up again.

DSCN0158.JPG

DSCN0159.JPG

DSCN0161.JPG

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0164.JPG

DSCN0165.JPG

DSCN0166.JPG

DSCN0167.JPG

DSCN0169.JPG

DSCN0171.JPG

DSCN0172.JPG

DSCN0173.JPG

DSCN0174.JPG

• Like 4

I'm astounded by the condition of some of the c. 100-year-old parts you have - bolt threads, nuts and even what seem to be relatively thin sheet metal sections still perfectly usable after all this time. Meanwhile, I have cars & vans that are only a tenth of that age with parts & fixings utterly disintegrated & fit only for scrap.

'Things ain't what they used to', certainly springs to mind!

2 hours ago, andypugh said:

Have you considered extending the core through the gudgeon pin holes to hold it more central during casting? 

I hadn't thought of that at the time. Possibly one for the future. Actually, I am concerned by the roughness around the gudgeon bosses. This photo is the only one I have seen of it. Will have to wait until I can visit again for a closer look.

Steve.  :)

Just now, Old Bill said:

I hadn't thought of that at the time. Possibly one for the future. Actually, I am concerned by the roughness around the gudgeon bosses. This photo is the only one I have seen of it. Will have to wait until I can visit again for a closer look.

Steve.  :)

I'll send you some more pictures but only one of the gudgeon bosses is a bit rough - a pity, but I reckon it will live. The pictures later.

A little time spent today on scraping the grease and muck off the first set of Brakes - just a little nicer to handle now. Tomorrow, the linings come off as they need to be replaced. It appears that they were as much as 1/2" thick originally and are held to the shoes by 1/4" steel c/sk screws, nutted on the inside with a pinned slot nut. A bit of a surprise as we have been used to seeing linings held on the shoes with copper rivets.

DSCN0179.JPG

DSCN0180.JPG

DSCN0183.JPG

DSCN0186.JPG

DSCN0188.JPG

DSCN0189.JPG

DSCN0190.JPG

DSCN0192.JPG

DSCN0193.JPG

• Like 1

Finished dismantling that first set of brakes today and took the linings off the shoes. Linings not riveted to the shoes but 5/16" x 7/8" csk steel screws used and nutted on the inside with slot nuts - so every one was split pinned as well. I think that this the first set that we have taken to bits where we have found that the original linings have been bonded to steel as well - this was 3/32" thick. In the past with the other lorries, the lining material has been riveted directly to the shoe with copper rivets.
So tomorrow, we start on the other side.

DSCN0203.JPG

DSCN0206.JPG

DSCN0207.JPG

DSCN0208.JPG

DSCN0210.JPG

• Like 3

Still mainly working outside at the moment and as it was a nasty wet morning, we got off to a slow start. Brightened up after lunch so now with the first Radius Rod and Brake assembly stripped down and having taken that one as far as we can go for the moment, it was appropriate to get the second one out from "Stores" to start all over again. As previously, it is again very dirty and tomorrow's job will be to start stripping it down so that we can progress that as far as the first one.
The brake linings now being revealed are so different from the ones on the previous lorries that we have worked on in that the linings are bonded to steel backs whereas the previous ones were just ordinary linings which were copper riveted straight on to the shoe - the Peerless ones are bolted to the shoe. Is this a common arrangement or is this something peculiar to Peerless?

DSCN0211.JPG

DSCN0213.JPG

DSCN0214.JPG

DSCN0216.JPG

• Like 1

Started on the second Radius Rod today - more of the same as the first one with a lot of grease and dirt to contend with. Hope to finish that tomorrow. And also the brakes from that wheel to dismantle.
The mystery of the Brake Linings has been solved - we think! A look in the Parts Book - reveals Part No 2105 which is described as a "Brake Shoe Liner" and that 4 per vehicle are required. No more information than that but we assume now that this item is fitted between the brake lining and the brake shoe. The linings taken off suggested that the probably asbestos lining was bonded to that steel part but probably the pressure on it when in use has given that impression. We will try to separate one tomorrow to see!

DSCN0220.JPG

DSCN0222.JPG

DSCN0229.JPG

• Like 2

Progress slow today - the second assembly did not want to come apart and it was a real fight when compared with the last one. The brakes still to do and they are filthy - started to clean them today so that I could get at them. Through the gunge, it rather looks as if the original (asbestos?) lining was riveted with small - perhaps just 1/8" rivets to the the 3/32" thick steel "Brake Shoe Liner" and that in turn with the lining as one complete item was secured to the shoe with 5/16 counter sunk screws through the lot, nutted on the inside with slot nuts.

DSCN0238.JPG

DSCN0239.JPG

DSCN0240.JPG

The main objective today was to clean up the brakes, just to make them a little cleaner to handle. The Brake Shoe liners complete with the linings still attached were removed from the Brake Shoes and then the first lining was removed from the steel liner. At this stage it was possible to see how the lining was attached to the steel liner - eleven copper rivets on each. The steel liners are fit to be used again after the old worn linings are removed from them - the copper rivets to be drilled and knocked out. The 5/16" nutted csk screws holding the liners and linings to the shoes will have to be replaced.

DSCN0241.JPG

DSCN0243.JPG

DSCN0247.JPG

DSCN0250.JPG

DSCN0251.JPG

• Like 1

DSCN0252.JPG (4.5 MB)
DSCN0253.JPG (4.4 MB)
DSCN0254.JPG (4.4 MB)
DSCN0255.JPG (4.5 MB)
Not done much today but went looking for more Foot Brake Parts. Dug out the only two "drums" that we have loose - called "Service Brake Drum" in the Parts Book . I don't think that there are any more of these.

These really are heavily corroded - I have taken them over for blasting but I think that they will want skimming. I didn't measure them but I think that they will just go in the gap on the Student. They attach to the Jack Shaft.

DSCN0252.JPG

DSCN0253.JPG

DSCN0254.JPG

DSCN0255.JPG

• Like 1

Today's photographs - of stuff brought down from the Caravan. We were hoping to locate some sound brake and clutch linkage bits - all of these bits were recovered from yet another chassis located some years ago - but all are heavily rusted and the linkage rods are tubes which have become very thin. Some of the clevis' may be fit to be used again but many new ones will have to be made. The rods are notionally 9/16" and 5/8" in diameter. The larger ones are threaded standard 5/8" UNC but the 9/16" ones 9/16" by 18 TPI - UNS again.

DSCN0298.JPG

DSCN0299.JPG

DSCN0300.JPG

DSCN0301.JPG

DSCN0302.JPG

DSCN0303.JPG

DSCN0304.JPG

DSCN0305.JPG

DSCN0306.JPG

DSCN0307.JPG

DSCN0308.JPG

DSCN0309.JPG

DSCN0310.JPG

DSCN0312.JPG

• Like 4

Pile of stuff back from Sand Blasting - not a bad job but still some work to be done on them to tidy them up, The Transmission Brake Drums are a little concerning as they are deeply scoured and pitted and will want skimming at the very least - although we have a good Spares Department, I am not sure if we do have any more of these. You will notice in the pictures that some parts have been doubled up as it was not easy to identify the best ones until they were cleaned so any duplicates will go back into "Spares"

DSCN0314.JPG

DSCN0315.JPG

DSCN0316.JPG

DSCN0317.JPG

DSCN0320.JPG

DSCN0321.JPG

DSCN0322.JPG

DSCN0323.JPG

DSCN0324.JPG

DSCN0326.JPG

DSCN0328.JPG

DSCN0329.JPG

DSCN0332.JPG

DSCN0334.JPG

DSCN0335.JPG

DSCN0337.JPG

• Like 1

Nothing very exciting but cleaning and priming continue. With the Radius Rod, we have 4 complete sections of the rear part of it and three of the front part which incorporates the revolving sleeve. After some effort the sleeve part was freed up on two of them where they were all rusted solidly together - the third one has so far refused to "give in". As we only need two, the third stuck one has been returned to the Spares Department to keep for another day! We soldier on - it will be great when the gang can reconvene and start puting some of these bits together!

DSCN0339.JPG

DSCN0340.JPG

DSCN0341.JPG

DSCN0342.JPG

DSCN0344.JPG

DSCN0345.JPG

DSCN0347.JPG

DSCN0348.JPG

DSCN0349.JPG

• Like 3
  • Up 1