WW1 Peerless lorry restoration

Great War truck

• 1 month later...

As the Thornycroft is more or less finished we are turning our attention this Christmas to the Peerless.

When we moved the Peerless into its current location we dumped some of the smaller parts we had into some wooden boxes balanced on the back and they have been there for about 25 years. As we had not looked into those boxes for such a long time we thought that we would take everything out and see what we have. It was nice to find all sorts of goodies. Not so nice to find a recently dead (well, about 3 week dead) squirrel and some mice. Here are a few of the things we uncovered.

DSCN6893.JPG

DSCN6895.JPG

DSCN6897.JPG

DSCN6899.JPG

DSCN6900 - Copy.JPG

DSCN6903.JPG

DSCN6905.JPG

DSCN6906.JPG

DSCN6907.JPG

That maybe why the squirrel died?

For most people Christmas is a time to eat and drink too much and then sit on the sofa and watch TV. Personally, we would prefer to spend the whole time in the shed. Doing that and squeezing in family meals can be a bit tricky. However, the aim was this Christmas to prepare the engine for removal. With the bonnet off the next step was to remove manifolds, exhaust, starting handle, water pump, scuttle and anything else that we could get off. With three of us on it the day went quite well. 

DSCN7019.JPG

DSCN7020.JPG

DSCN7024.JPG

DSCN7026.JPG

DSCN7029.JPG

DSCN7033.JPG

DSCN7038.JPG

DSCN7039.JPG

DSCN7040.JPG

DSCN7043.JPG

DSCN7050.JPG

DSCN7051.JPG

DSCN7060.JPG

DSCN7064.JPG

DSCN7067.JPG

DSCN7069.JPG

Edited by Minesweeper

13 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

You don't have much time to draw breath between projects!  Do you think the Peerless will be more straight forward then the Dennis and Thornycroft? From what I can see, a lot of it is together at the front end. A unique drive for the water pump with that spring.

Good luck!

regards, Richard

More straight forward - I do hope so. We have most of the bits, but strangely things are missing which should be there. I think the Peerless was parked up outside about 70 years ago. It changed hands about 30 years ago and a lot of parts on it were moved to a better chassis which was "cosmetically" restored. We bought several chassis as you know and we have lost track of what we have so we need to do some more work on sorting through what we do have. I think some parts may have been lost by the previous owner. Saying that we have remarkably found a lot of original parts for the Peerless that we had to make for the previous restorations. So, for example we have an original NOS fuel tank and a really good radiator. Probably the most difficult part will be the engine. Not sure about the gearbox, that might be ok. As we plan to restore two Peerless consecutively I hope that we can use the best parts for the first one and maybe we will turn up some other parts for the second one while we are doing the first. It is all very exciting.

• Like 1

Having browsed back over the Thorny and peerless threads, it looks like you have had the Thorny stuff since around 1988 and the Peerless stuff since around 1992.  

Given that you started with so much more Peerless stuff, and it appears to be in much better condition generally, why did you decide to do the huge pile of work to push the Thorny through to completion, over progressing with the ( NOT using the word easier here ) Peerless?

A question for Steve I think. It should be noted that in between buying the Thornycroft and restoring it we also restored two Autocars, one Jeep, the FWD and the Dennis so it had been waiting its turn long enough and needed to be done. I think that it is common belief that we should never have touched the Thornycroft because there was not enough of it there to make a viable restoration. We have been very lucky and we have some very helpful and generous friends.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, Richard Farrant said:

. A unique drive for the water pump with that spring.

Yes, it is very unusual. Two springs coiled within each other. In good enough condition for us to use (after a clean up). The water pump is not the factory supplied one but made by Peerless trading in the UK as a replacement and of a slightly different design. No gland on it which is quite unusual. I imagine that it will leak a great deal. We took it apart to see what it was like inside. Had to get the bolts very hot to make them let go but it all came apart and seems to be in good condition, which is a relief.

DSCN7070.JPG

DSCN7071.JPG

DSCN7073.JPG

DSCN7075.JPG

DSCN7077.JPG

DSCN7078.JPG

DSCN7079.JPG

DSCN7082.JPG

DSCN7083.JPG

DSCN7084.JPG

• Like 1

I look forward, with excited anticipation to the Thornycroft updates, and now that’s coming to a successful completion I would like to thank ‘Team Gosling’ for their tireless dedication and the many hours spent in the shed, and would like to wish you every success with the Peerless restorations. Never let it be said that Team Gosling allow the grass to grow under their feet!

• Like 5

On 12/27/2018 at 11:24 AM, Prague1996 said:

Never let it be said that Team Gosling allow the grass to grow under their feet!

If Team Gosling ever   "allow the grass to grow under their feet"   it'll be because they have just discovered the remains of an early steam-powered lawnmower...

The engine is nearly ready to come out now and only needs the driveshaft disconnecting. I had a go at it yesterday but it would not let go and then we lost the light so it has been left for another day. Once that is disconnected, we will have to get the gang out to manhandle the chassis from its current position to a point underneath the chain block. Then we will be away. In the mean time, both Father and I have some homework to be getting on with.

Happy New Year everone!

Steve   :)

• Like 1

Every time one of your interesting and well documented restoration epics nears it's end, we all start to feel a little bit despondent. 

Then before we know it off you go again, the Gosling gestalt relentlessly getting stuck into another one, and the new years off to a cracking good start!

Thanks chaps for all the knowledge you share and good luck with the Peerless. 

Happy New Year.

Bernard

Edited by gritineye
  • Like 2

As I mentioned on the first page the UK importers of Peerless and FWD was the American company of Gaston Williams and Wigmore. They adapted the name plate to show their name as can be see on the Bovington Tank Museum Peerless and these two photos of a Peerless and an FWD (although they are a bit tricky to make out).  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg