Great War truck

WW1 Peerless lorry restoration

18 hours ago, Great War truck said:

These are really quite rare in the UK but I am pleased to say that I took delivery of a matching pair today which still appear to have the original Army green paint on them.

Would it be fair to assume that these emit practically no light at all? 

I am aware that Acetylene lights can actually be very effective, but I imagine that this is not as much the case for oil lamps? 

Having used oil lamps at night it is surprising how effective they are. The problem lies is that modern traffic with infinatley brighter lights upset your eyes so once they have passed tou can't see a thing. 

But bear in mind these are 'sidelights'. So for being 'seen' rather than to use to see the road. I assume the Peerless would have had at least a single acetelene headlight?

46 minutes ago, 8_10 Brass Cleaner said:

Having used oil lamps at night it is surprising how effective they are. The problem lies is that modern traffic with infinatley brighter lights upset your eyes so once they have passed tou can't see a thing. 

That sounds like they might actually be better than the electric light on my 1921 motorcycle. Which really doesn't emit any useful amount of light for seeing with. The one time I rode it in the dark on a country road was terrifying.