Saracen Turret Plate Assembly

Mettlen

IMG_20160818_120736.jpg

Hi, I'm re-assembling the turret plate on my Saracen and I note all the bolts had a putty like material over them no doubt to waterproof the roof. Does anybody know what this material is and if I can buy it, or if there is suitable modern day alternative? Silica seal is not suitable as it sets. Photo of one of the bolts with putty on is attached. Thanks

I'd think most modern seam sealers or mastiks would do the job. There's a huge range of brushable, gun application or ribbon / tape seam sealers available from companies like U-Pol and 3M. Might be an idea to either contact a sealant manufacturer or a local car bodyshop supplier for suggestions.

Just remembered, the mastic sealing strip used on AFV's was Prestikon, think it was a Bostik product.

Correct Richard, I was too late to jog your memory, but Prestikon it was (is? as I still have a small strip, which has been used lately for sealing leaks from my garden water butts).

No idea if it is available but I can confirm that it was very effective in stopping all kinds of leaks, even involving oil, and was highly regarded by us Veh Mech types.

Steve.

Correct Richard, I was too late to jog your memory, but Prestikon it was (is? as I still have a small strip, which has been used lately for sealing leaks from my garden water butts).

No idea if it is available but I can confirm that it was very effective in stopping all kinds of leaks, even involving oil, and was highly regarded by us Veh Mech types.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

It was a must to use when the rear hull plate was refitted on a Stalwart, Ferret, Fox, etc.

Glad my memory has not failed me yet!

cheers Richard

Thanks for the information. Alas I have searched for it briefly and it doesn't look like it is available anymore. Is the remnant you have in commercial packing? If so could you send me a photo of it so that I can have a good description to work from. I'll let you know how I get on in terms of an alternative.

Thanks for the information. Alas I have searched for it briefly and it doesn't look like it is available anymore. Is the remnant you have in commercial packing? If so could you send me a photo of it so that I can have a good description to work from. I'll let you know how I get on in terms of an alternative.

I have done a bit of investigating and it was still issued in 1990, for waterproofing vehicles. Using that NSN, which is 6WPG/2540-99-816-2664, it comes up as being supplied by Bostik-Findley Ltd and their product code P5408. Hope this helps.

Richard

It's great the way things unfurl on this sites. The last posting by Richard means a single search in Google immediately turned up a supplier.

see http://www.britishpipeclamps.co.uk/bpc-home-shop/gasket-materials-gasket-jointing-cork-gasket/bostik-prestik-sealing-strip-gasket-compound/

24" long by 2" wide think it was £12.99 with free UK delivery.

another gr8 win for the collective knowledge of the borg whoops hive ahem forum:-D