Insurance for younger drivers

Stealthbird97

Hi,

Sorry to ask a question on a topic which has been covered a number of times here but after searching I've not really been able to find any information which directly answers the question.

I'm currently 19, will be 20 around the time the insurance of my dad's Ford GPW insurance needs to be renewed.

We actually also have an M35A2 as well and we would like to attend shows with both vehicles (while towing the GPW is an option - it isn't one we would like to explore), hence another driver is needed, myself.

Has anyone been able to successfully insure as a secondary driver anyone under the age of 21 on their vehicle?

After checking I've not been able to find any insurance companies which will even consider insurance someone about my age. Obviously we would pay for the privilege to do this, but it seems widely that many insurance companies policy is to not insure anyone under 21, even though they wouldn't have any issue insuring me on a newer more expensive modern car.

Does anyone know of a company that would do be able to add a 19/20 year old to classic motor insurance as a secondary driver? Or at least the names of insurance companies which might do it...

Thanks in advance.

Hi Cori,

while I have no direct experience, those days are long gone (cough, stare at floor and shuffle feet) a quick search of the web showed up that Footman James have a classic car policy specifically for younger people. The criteria on their web page states that

Young enthusiast qualifying criteria for 18-24 year olds include :

• The car must be over 20 years of age;

• The owner must limit their mileage to either 3000 or 5000 miles per year depending on the age of the vehicle;

• Young drivers need to have held a licence for a minimum of 12 months;

• Maximum ABI group 20.

the only thing I'm wondering is whether you specifically wish to be on the policy as another named driver, rather than having your own policy.

but it would appear that if you are willing to have your own policy then there is at least one company who can help.

quick disclaimer, I have no connection or interest in the business of Footman James :-D

regards,

Julian

Assuming your M35 is pre 1960 and taxed and insured as an Historic MV you are only allowed to tow another vehicle if it is broken down and then only to a place of safety (in the opinion of the police). Under any other circumstances the towed vehicle would be classed as a trailer with all that entails. The chances of actually being stopped and accused of possibly multiple offences is negligible until the day an accident occurs when your insurance company will immediately disappear into the long grass and you could even be left with claims against you running into millions although this is obviously worst case scenario.

Hi Cori,

while I have no direct experience, those days are long gone (cough, stare at floor and shuffle feet) a quick search of the web showed up that Footman James have a classic car policy specifically for younger people.

regards,

Julian

Thanks Julian. We will take a look at them when we come around to renewing. It seems that Cherished Vehicles has been taken over by a company called A-Plan. Cherished wouldn't do insure me before. A-Plan might do it.

Assuming your M35 is pre 1960 and taxed and insured as an Historic MV you are only allowed to tow another vehicle if it is broken down and then only to a place of safety (in the opinion of the police).

I didn't know that, but like I said before, we wouldn't didn't want to tow it behind the M35. For one, a jeep is considerably smaller width than the M35. That means you wouldn't even be able to see the jeep behind you. Not knowing where the "trailer" as it were is, isn't the greatest idea.