Ford v8 gun tractor

Highland_laddie

Question

Hi,

while surfin' the interweb for things 25 pounder related I found reference to Ford v8 gun tractors. There seem to have been a number of different manufacturers of 'Quads' for the Field Artillery Tractor role. Am I correct in thinking that this is likely to have been a Ford FGT based on the CMP series manufactured in Canada? Or was there another Ford V8 based gun tractor?

If if this is based on a CMP how much parts commonality is there between Ford models and also is there any commonality with Chevorlet models on major components (excl. the obvious engine difference).

i know that there might be more information on the Maple Leaf forum but other posts on here seem to suggest it harder to join than the hellfire club ;) if any one can help with the best way to approach getting access any advice would be appreciated.

Despite my obsession with the big tank gun thingys I seem to be developing a soft spot for british/commonwealth trucks, I seem to have caught some contagion from this very forum.

thanks for any info in response to the above questions,

cheers Julian

14 answers to this question

Or was there another Ford V8 based gun tractor?

i know that there might be more information on the Maple Leaf forum but other posts on here seem to suggest it harder to join than the hellfire club ;) if any one can help with the best way to approach getting access any advice would be appreciated.

thanks for any info in response to the above questions,

cheers Julian

Morning Julian, we all know Dodges are better, but ...

The common one was the Ford LAAT, Light Anti-Aircraft Tractor, I'm sure Nigel Watson lost one or two in that fire.

as for joining MLU, just PM Hanno, who goes by the name of mcspool on here.

These are the three cab types of Ford gun tractors for the 25 pdr. excluding the Australian types.

"Quad's" or FAT's as tractors for 25 pdr, with the beetle back design where build by Morris, Karrier, Guy, Chevrolet and Ford.

Between the different Ford CMP vehicles (8, 15, 30 and 60 cwt)(Cab 11, 12 and 13) many of the parts are interchangeable. Some parts though exist in "heavy duty" versions for the larger lorries.

There are also interchangeable parts between Chevrolet and Ford but to a lesser degree.

The Gun tractor bodies, on a Cab 11-12 from the nose and rearwards where build by a couple of coach builders and are identical on a Ford and Chevrolet.

I think the same goes for the rear part of a Cab 13, starting from the rear of the original cab.

By all means dive in to the field of commonwealth vehicles they are lovely

12596302_10154059363871055_1901175337_n.jpg

ford F.jpg

Rudna at Prague 30May1945.jpg

12596302_10154059363871055_1901175337_n.jpg

ford F.jpg

Rudna at Prague 30May1945.jpg

The short answer Julian is that the CMP range of artillery tractors were manufactured by both Ford and Chevrolet as:

FAT 25 pounder limber and gun tractors in 11, 12 and 13 cab variants

LAA Bofors tractors in 12 and 13 cab versions

Portee for the 6 pounder anti tank gun

15cwt 13 cab Polsen cannon mounts

A small number of Ford only produced Bofors self propelled tractors which were based on the 60cwt frame.

Ford and Chevrolet CMP's have a low level of commonality other than looking out ward similar (but not identical) commonality exits in some, but not all, body parts, brake shoes and some but not all power train bearings, winches were universally Ford supplied and on later 13 cab variants standard instruments although even here Ford used electrical gauges for temp and oil pressure .

Join MLU Hanno will sort you out they will give you chapter and verse over there ;)

Pete

By all means dive in to the field of commonwealth vehicles they are lovely

Never a truer word Niels,

CMP's are in a class of their own both in build detail and type diversity and an area that has until recently been somewhat overlooked by the main stream collecting movement.......... Go Canada !!

Pete

Pete now I come to think of it wasn't there also a 2 Pdr portee or was that a field conversion ?

Yes your right Niels well remembered, 12 cabs they were only made in very small quantities, most were reconverted to 6 pounder towing tractors later in the war although one was/is in a Norfolk museum collection

portee colour.jpg

and another one was for sale here in Wales part restored some years ago and did'nt one come up for restoration in your part of the world a few years ago ?

Pete

portee colour.jpg

I know that the Ford FGT was supplied by Ford of Canada in dismantled form to the UK and reassembled at Dagenham before being issued to the Army. If you watch a Ford film "Switchover" you can see a line of Ford FGT vehicles leaving the Dagenham factory.

I know that the Ford FGT was supplied by Ford of Canada in dismantled form to the UK and reassembled at Dagenham before being issued to the Army. If you watch a Ford film "Switchover" you can see a line of Ford FGT vehicles leaving the Dagenham factory.

Yes they were Robert, the first CMP's to enter the UK in May and June 1940 came in as part knock down and were assembled at the Southern Railway works in Southampton. When this plant was destroyed in a raid in December of that year assembly was then carried out the Citron main dealership in Slough and at certain London bus company garages. After mid 1941 depots began to be set up elsewhere around the UK notably at Dagenham Liverpool and Manchester.

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby
missing word

Service Publications, just released a book called "Drive to victory" which should be fairly good. (waiting for mine to arrive)

http://www.servicepub.com/ and http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=12216

there is also an older book by William Gregg called "Blueprint for victory" That I think is great.

There is also more of a picture book for modelers from WWP, on the gun tractors http://wwpbooks.com/product.php?id_product=295

(Beaten by Neils...)

Julian, it depends what you're after.

If you're after a spotters guide to CMPs then I suggest you track down a copy of the new book "Drive to Victory" by Clive Law (Service Publications). I picked my copy up at W&PR from Paul Meekins.

Alternatively, try and hunt down the Canadian Military Vehicle series from 1979/early 80s:

Volume 1 "Europe WW2", or (revised edition) "Canada's Fighting Vehicles"

Volume 2 "Canadian Military Vehicle Profile Series"

Volume 3 "Blueprint for Victory" by William Greg - this one is a history of the design and production of CMPs

A bit more niche is Australian Military Equipment Profiles Vol 1 (Field Artillery 1939-1945) - this has good coverage of the Australian pattern FATs, both those based on CMP running gear and the Marmon Herrington.

India also created their own local pattern FATs on CMP chassis. Here it's more a case of hunting round for information.

I think there are also 'walk around' booklets that are more aimed at the model making world.

You'll find the rich variety of CMPs endlessly absorbing (and mystifying at times).

Edited by Runflat