Hillman Minx Saloon RAF Staff Car restore & markings

Tina&Roger

• 4 months later...

Just found this a few minutes ago while looking at "images for" 1946 Hillman for sale!.  Never seen this photo and post  before!

Just to throw a curly one in....  My late mother (d.1986)  was "lucky" enough to buy a new "1941" Hillman Minx in Cape Town, South Africa in 1941.  (Day and month unknown to me).  According to Mum, it was in the "last shipment" of cars to be sent to South Africa after WW2 broke out.  It had a sunroof. 

The only photo I have of it is of course, black & white.  The angle means I can't fully see the number plate, but it was probably Cape Province.  She told me it was a smokey blue colour,  very close to the "Haze Blue" used by BMC Australia circa 1964-5, on Mini 850s.    The closest "match" I can think of is Rootes Aero Blue.   Can anyone advise me if that is the same as RAF Blue?

Thanks LarryH57 and Tina&Roger for confirming that they made them into 1941, I always wondered if it wasn't a 1940 model.

I also wonder if it was meant for the South African military, but wasn't needed, and released for sale to the public?  It's all a long time ago!

Thankyou Tina&Roger for putting this up.  Steve.