Whats this tank

Norbo

Been looking at a couple of tanks and just been offed this its had 2 new inter coolers and fans fitted and a complete engine over hall just a couple of yeas back runs sweet as a nut and fast as hell ive been told .

I have no idea what this is how fast it gows how big it is what the MPG is likely to be top speed etc , Just a friend of a friend has this and is looking to sell it .big tank.jpg

Edited by Norbo

1mpg and 3 mpg are not something i can live with I own and run a couple of bike forums and a few face book pages on classic bikes so i put the word out im looking for a tank and then im getting lots of people coming up with i had one my mate has 1 i used to drive one i was in the movie with brad pit driving a tank and so on . and this was a friend who says his mate is selling his tank they use it to drive over caravans and old vehicles on his farm just for fun .

What im looking for is a more 7 T sabour type tank small 50MPH 15 MPG type of thing . I have looked at 1 in person a nice tank but very scabby inside and out . and thats ok i dont mined doing it up but the motor had oul all over the rocker covers oil coming from the 2 drain bolts under it and it was back firing and as i know a lot about 2 stroke bike engines i know nothing about E type motors . But i do know oil and back firing is not good and will cost a lot to get some to look at . and if i pay to much for it could end up well in the holl by the time is looking and driving correct . and the worry is the driving correct more then its looks .

Its a lot of money to spend on something and have it go pop

If you're looking at tracked armour, forget about mpg; single figures is all any of them will achieve. CVRT will only get 4-6mpg. Also rare to find one with a good interior unless you're paying big money. Cruddy engine bays are par for the course. I forget how many times I've cleaned out our Spartan engine bay out over the years. By virtue of the fact that the cooling air flow runs through the engine bay, it suck in all and any crud and blows it all over the place. Unless you find one that's been stored inside, AFVs tend to sit with some rain water in the hull. If that doesn't do it, the condensation will. Just some observations having been playing with tracks for the last 12 years or so.

as i say the looks dont bother me that much and dirty motor does not bother me i just dont want a motor that has so much oil around the rocker covers that its dripping out the drain holes in the sump and a motor that doesn't back fire when you rev it, and if i do take a chance on such a thing i dont pay so much that i have nothing left to pay some one to lok at the motor and fix it . This abbot has had the engine complementary re done and new inter coolers that's why i was interested in it but i think its to big. but as its a friend of a friend i may still go for a look depends what he is asking for it.

Im after a abbott, would like to know more about it if your not intrested norbo, i have a very nice spartan if your intrested!

Regards Andrew

as i say the looks dont bother me that much and dirty motor does not bother me i just dont want a motor that has so much oil around the rocker covers that its dripping out the drain holes in the sump and a motor that doesn't back fire when you rev it, and if i do take a chance on such a thing i dont pay so much that i have nothing left to pay some one to lok at the motor and fix it . This abbot has had the engine complementary re done and new inter coolers that's why i was interested in it but i think its to big. but as its a friend of a friend i may still go for a look depends what he is asking for it.

I have looked up the spartan and it doesn't have a gun its the right size but id like a gun at the front 30mm would be fine doesn't have to be a big one im not compensating for anything LOL . Just want something to go out in with my son before i die the next 3 to 5 years may be ive been told .

As Lauren has said, the Abbot is relatively easy to maintain. BUT - it's important to realise that running and looking after any tracked AFV is nowhere near the same as looking after a car. It will demand time and money to keep it going. Even if it has had the heat exchanger done (who did it and how well?) there is absolutely no guarantee that it won't go again and you'll need to lift two tonnes of engine/gearbox pack to fix it, they're a known weak point on all the FV430s. Think very carefully about what you're letting yourself in for and take someone with you who knows about the vehicle. At very least pull the gearbox dipstick, if there's any sign of "chicken soup" or froth then the heat exchanger is shot.

Out of interest, what's this one's military registration? It'll have EB in the middle, I own 08EB10.

Andy

Thats what worry's me about the 1st tank i looked at i dont think its had a lot of looking after im hopeing to have a chat with a local person who may be able to advise . Still quit like the 1st one i looked at and the bloke was very nice but that oily backfiring motor needs looking at and im not sure what it will cost to have it looked at and who could do it . Its not like i can just drop it round any place . if its at my house then i have to transport it to some were to have them look at it and the cost just keeps mounting .

Thats what worry's me about the 1st tank i looked at i dont think its had a lot of looking after im hopeing to have a chat with a local person who may be able to advise . Still quit like the 1st one i looked at and the bloke was very nice but that oily backfiring motor needs looking at and im not sure what it will cost to have it looked at and who could do it . Its not like i can just drop it round any place . if its at my house then i have to transport it to some were to have them look at it and the cost just keeps mounting .

Hi,

I admire your ambition but you may want to consider the following:

If you're worried about the hassle of bring a scabby one up to scratch you need to spend the money and buy the best you can get. You will spend every penny of the cost of a good one in sorting out a bad one, if not lots more.

It is almost always cheaper to buy a finished vehicle than to do it yourself (let alone pay others to do). It's different if you're looking forward to the pleasure of doing the work yourself but if not you should put in the money up front. There's still no guarantee you'll buy well or be lucky but at least you'll give yourself a fighting chance.

Buying something that's lived in a field and been used to crush cars for fun is almost certainly setting yourself up for costly failure.

If you're after some quality father/son time and your time may be limited surely it's better to have something which isn't going to spend most of its time with you in bits while you curse the day you set eyes on it.

Finally, tracked armour is a big boys game and there is no way to do it on the cheap so please be realistic about what you are prepared to throw at this.

- MG

If you're looking for advice, the local MVT meetings are probably a good start.

It's sounding like you're aiming more for a CVRT series vehicle in what you're saying - theyre generally easier to work on, and there's a good support network around them (check out the Alvis fighting vehicle society). I'm sure there will be some owners advice on here. There's a nice looking Sabre with BAIV that's forsale.

The manuals are generally a good start for modern vehicles. They'll give you an idea of maintenance and troubleshooting works that are needed. Then you can better asses whether youre ready to take the plunge.

thats a cool looking sparton but no big gun i think im gowing to look for a

CVRT Scimitar or sabur

Its the size and look im going for.

I dont mined cosmetic work its just motor work that worry's me and the money pit these things can be . I build bikes so working on stuff id quit like and making them nicer and putting my own stamp on stuff so long as the engine is ok and electrics all work then im ok .

just checking, but have you got your H license yet, or is that on your to-do list?

You need category H on your driving license, and it's a good idea to get some training on how the vehicles move and drive anyway, just to be safe. I seem to remember one of the decent training schools uses CVRT's, so that may be worth travelling to if this is the vehicle you're aiming for.

Incidentally, if you like your bikes, the CVRT is probably a good choice. The gearbox operates a very similar way to a bike, with two major exceptions.

1) it sets your turnng circle, so you need to learn which gear for which corner.

2) you can't get your knee down on said corners.

I do intend to take some lessons and get My H licence while i do any work on it and make it nice for next year or the winter . However i have been told that with L plats i can drive it on my licence as its 28 yeas old . and not a new one. i dont know if this is correct but the bloke selling 1 has not got his H licence and been driving it for 7 years on normal licence with L plats on it .

If you're looking for advice, the local MVT meetings are probably a good start.

It's sounding like you're aiming more for a CVRT series vehicle in what you're saying - theyre generally easier to work on, and there's a good support network around them (check out the Alvis fighting vehicle society). I'm sure there will be some owners advice on here. There's a nice looking Sabre with BAIV that's forsale.

The manuals are generally a good start for modern vehicles. They'll give you an idea of maintenance and troubleshooting works that are needed. Then you can better asses whether youre ready to take the plunge.

I cant get the forum open on this do you have a link to the vehicle for sale