Can anyone identify this?

Can anyone shed any light on this. [ATTACH=CONFIG]117179[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117180[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117181[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117182[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]117183[/ATTACH]

Thanks in advance

Sharky aka Iain

the NSN comes back as a refrigerated transport and storage container. It looks like it's ISO size.

A bit late, but hopefully not too late to make an observation. The speed restriction sign talks about mounting on a Bedford RL, so fairly old and I would imagine it was originally just a box body, and the chassis/axle was added when sold out of service. Sadly I never saw one during my service, so I can't help identify it any further.

Steve.

• 4 months later...

Thermo king produce refrigeration equipment; nowadays they do all sorts of mobile, self powered stuff including ISO containers - though I can find no direct mention of them as manufacturers in my 1969 or 1970 copies of Jane's Shipping Containers.

Petter were namely (as Para Handy would say) in marine engines, but now produce all sorts of stuff. The 1970 edition of Jane's mentions them as manufacturers of Thermo king units under license, but not containers.

York offered a refrigerated unit with the customers' choice of equipment, but the photo doesn't look like the York products shown.

If it was a container, it doesn't comply with ISO specifications; I can see no sign of twist lock receptacles, and these are a necessary part of the standard. Early Freightliner containers and some others were non-compliant.

The power supply instruction (415V AC, 3 Phase); I think this refers to plugging in the equipment when parked, to save on running the generator continuously. This sort of supply is encountered in industry; it is more efficient than the single phase domestic supply, and is said to be less wearing on appliances. It is also capable of supplying much more actual power, as in 'the capacity to do work'(quoted from every Physics teacher/lecturer I've had). Single phase portable generators appear to be more common by far than the 3 phase variety.

I think that you have a converted lorry body there, originally built as a refrigerator body for mounting by an end user. I would have expected it to have been put on a 4X2 rather than an RL though.