CVRW FOX Question: Starting problem

Obitwo

Hi,

Got my new Fox last autumn and drove it into the garage without any problems. Now (after 9 months) it´s time to take it out but it will not start:

Fresh batteries - OK

Gasoline filled up -OK

Fuel tap- OK

Procedure as per manual - OK

Electrics, Iginition and starting motor turns around - Ok

BUT it wont start. My biggest concern is that the gasoline has gone old and additives has clogged the fuel lines? Does anyone have a clue? is there a trick?

BR Richard

Thanks for reply. Yes, it ticks and I think it slowed (little) after a while. I tried 5 times X 5 sec yesterday and 4 X 5sec today, paused and then 2 more. Gasoline has been in the tank a while ( approx 1 year), not sure about using start gas?

Edited by Obitwo

Hi, problem solved and it is now starting/ running like new :) .

You were right in stucked valve, but wooden stick was not enough (or rather, me not daring to tap hard enough). The system had clogged during the 10 month storage.( I had not closed the fuel tap btw). Got a mechanic to help. Freed the air intake to carburator and he put a cloth down it to create a vaccum back pressure when trying to start. This opened it fine. Then to make the fuel flow through to the carburator again one of us sucked the fuel line while one twisted the fuel tap many turns anticlockwise. Finally fuel came through. Now I will allways let the engine run dry before winter storage by closing the fueltap while motor running��

Edited by Obitwo

Hi, problem solved and it is now starting/ running like new :) .

You were right in stucked valve, but wooden stick was not enough (or rather, me not daring to tap hard enough). The system had clogged during the 10 month storage.( I had not closed the fuel tap btw). Got a mechanic to help. Freed the air intake to carburator and he put a cloth down it to create a vaccum back pressure when trying to start. This opened it fine. Then to make the fuel flow through to the carburator again one of us sucked the fuel line while one twisted the fuel tap many turns anticlockwise. Finally fuel came through. Now I will allways let the engine run dry before winter storage by closing the fueltap while motor running��

Obitwo, I have the same issue -- I'm a new Fox owner and after getting mine shipped to US from UK, have not been able to start it. In UK, it went through a full overhaul (engine out, etc.), so I am hoping my problem is simple. Can you put up a photo of where you banged on the carb? I really want to get mine started, but unfortunately, besides my 14 year old (who honestly prefers staring at his phone than helping dad), I have no assistance...

My other quandary is the fuel tap on my vehicle is a two sided handle, one that is shorter and one that's longer (with a hole). The quandary is that I have no idea which side is the operative one. When a particular side points to main or reserve, I'm not sure if I actually selected the tank in question or if it is on the opposite side of the handle. The manual doesn't show the handle, so I've been trying different positions, and just running down the batteries.

My fuel pump does tick quickly and then slows, so I don't think it's the culprit.

• 2 weeks later...

With regard to the fuel tap the MAIN tank is selected when the tap is turned at 90 degrees to the axis of the vehicle, ie. from side to side. As far as I am aware it does'nt matter which way round the larger lug with the hole is turned. To select the reserve tank the handle must be turned along the axis of the vehicle ie. facing from front to back. If the handle is turned between both positions then fuel is drawn from both tanks however I have never tried that as I would prefer to use up the main tank and know that all the fuel reserve was still there.

The inlet valve sticking in the carburettor is a common problem and I wonder if modern unleaded petrol is the culprit? I have never had the problem with Solex carbs fitted to any other vehicle.

My immediate problem is that there is an intermittent fuel supply problem which seems to restrict the fuel supply so that it will only drive as far as a full float chamber allows . The engine then dies until the pump can fill it again. I have blown through the system and stripped all pipes and fuel filter but there is nothing obvious. Any ideas????

Hi datadawg, sorry for late reply. I just tapped with a wooden clogg on top of the carburator but I dont think My lame try mattered. Modern gasoline seems really quick to deteriorate and have "sticky cristals/ fall out" to jam the system. I think your carburator has the same problem as mine had and that you need someone that knows how to open and clear a carburator like we did ( se above). On positive side, it is not anything broken, just "dirt" that needs cleared and the carburator ist just a normal carburator that any normal good mechanic can handle. Perhaps the " vaccum trick " helps and you dont need to dissasemble it fully. Funny that you also have a 14 yr old son that rather sits on the side with his smartphone

Edited by Obitwo

Hi Dingodoug, I think you know more than me but what about trying with fuel direct to carburator from external tank. I mean, if the engine works then you know its within the tank/pipes/pump - or IF problem continues then its def within the carburator?

A Question; is there no closed/ off pos on the fuel tap? Or if, what pos is off?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dingodoug, I think you know more than me but what about trying with fuel direct to carburator from external tank. I mean, if the engine works then you know its within the tank/pipes/pump - or IF problem continues then its def within the carburator?

A Question; is there no closed/ off pos on the fuel tap? Or if, what pos is off?

Hi, sorry for the late reply but I have been filming with the Fox for a TV show and the engine kept dying to my acute embarrassment. The next day I fed the pump from an external tank and of course it ran perfectly. However wen I connected the main tank again it also ran perfectly ! I reached the conclusion that it was the old culprit of sticking needle valve . Perhaps there is heat build-up in the engine compartment which exacerbates the fuel problem?

As for the fuel tap there are 2 answers. The User Handbook says that if a 3 way tap is fitted ( possibly on the prototypes?) then there is an off position. For 2 way taps then there is no off position which is a surprising omission for a fighting vehicle.

• 6 months later...
My other quandary is the fuel tap on my vehicle is a two sided handle, one that is shorter and one that's longer (with a hole). The quandary is that I have no idea which side is the operative one. When a particular side points to main or reserve, I'm not sure if I actually selected the tank in question or if it is on the opposite side of the handle. The manual doesn't show the handle, so I've been trying different positions, and just running down the batteries.

My fuel pump does tick quickly and then slows, so I don't think it's the culprit.

I finally got a photo of the fuel tap. Can anyone can tell me which position is main and reserve? "Off" is embossed on the floor panel on left side of the screen, but I do not know which side of the pointer is the operative one; the long side (pointing toward top of the screen) has a hole in it, the shorter side does not.

20170218_171410.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I finally got a photo of the fuel tap. Can anyone can tell me which position is main and reserve? "Off" is embossed on the floor panel on left side of the screen, but I do not know which side of the pointer is the operative one; the long side (pointing toward top of the screen) has a hole in it, the shorter side does not.

Bump... Anyone???